blue-grey colored matter in egg one day, soft shelled egg the next

I also have this happen with my older EE.
She lays eggs that have these weird hollow calcium lumps on the ends of her eggs. Inside the lumps are tiny blue green calcium particles like fine sand.
In my hen's case she has reproduction issues and hormonal imbalances; she also crows occasionally and mounts the other hens.
I give her extra calcium every day so she has had these issues less frequently.

I also have this happen with my older EE.
She lays eggs that have these weird hollow calcium lumps on the ends of her eggs. Inside the lumps are tiny blue green calcium particles like fine sand.
In my hen's case she has reproduction issues and hormonal imbalances; she also crows occasionally and mounts the other hens.
I give her extra calcium every day so she has had these issues less frequently.
If your EE is producing eggs with calcium deposits, it's likely due to the "extra" calcium. What form of calcium are you giving her each day and what strength? If it's a concentrated form, you may risk her developing kidney issues such as kidney stones. Concentrated forms of calcium (other than oyster shell) is meant only as a short term therapy for shell issues and reproductive anomalies, not for long term use.

If your EE is producing eggs with calcium deposits, it's likely due to the "extra" calcium. What form of calcium are you giving her each day and what strength? If it's a concentrated form, you may risk her developing kidney issues such as kidney stones. Concentrated forms of calcium (other than oyster shell) is meant only as a short term therapy for shell issues and reproductive anomalies, not for long term use.
I offer the ladies some oyster shell in a bucket, separate from their main feed. but I give Spooky (the hen in question) an empty egg shell, I started doing that after her lumpy egg issues arose. They eat all flock. I'm not giving her the extra egg right now, she is molting.

That's good. Egg shell is just another form of calcium carbonate, the same as oyster shell. It should cause no problems.
Okay that's good to hear. I have never given them any of the pill type supplements, I just use what I have on hand. Which is egg shell and the oyster shell.
Before I bought the oyster shell, she would lay eggs with weird hollow calcium warts full of calcium pellets. Or the eggs had thin shells or would have small patches (pea sise diameter) with no shell and the egg white would have the green goop floating in it.
That's when I bought the oyster shell and started giving her a personal egg shell treat.

Back
Top Bottom