Blue Heelers - Will they kill my chickens?

Quote:
i agree
smile.png

my concern, tho ,is that these are not her dogs.she doesn't know how they are going to be trained.

Quote:
If you see then being tempted into your yard due to your chickens or any other reason, I agree with the above poster, ask your neighbor if they can be brought over to your house more than one time for sit stay leave it lessons. I have a red heeler ( and a blue heeler mix and a Siberian husky) and I 100% trust them around my free ranging chickens. I leave them out with the chickens all the time unattended and they don't go after them at all. Like another poster said, most heelers I've known are Velcro dogs to their humans and rarely leave their side or yard in case they might miss something good. Heelers are very trainable and smart dogs do I think with some understanding and training on yours and your neighbors part should they want to come into your yard you would be fine. They are by far my favorite breed!

I think the bottom line is this: If you're concerned about your neighbor's dogs (or any stray dogs for that matter) YOU need to be responsible for the safety of your chickens. If you don't have a predator resistant run, build one. Put up a fence. Run electric fence around your exsisting run. Whatever you feel you need to do. Yes, it's your neighbor's responsibility to keep the dogs home, but things happen. Not everyone is that responsible. Sometimes dogs accidentally get let loose. Sometimes other dogs get dumped. The possibilities are endless. Ultimately, it's up to us to us whatever precautions we deem necessary to keep our birds safe. If you free range (I do) you're taking your chances, and don't get to complain if something gets your birds. It's a fact of life and the risk you take. If you keep your birds penned up, there's still a chance that some critter or neighbor dog could find its way in. But in the end, you do what you feel you need to do to keep your birds safe.

I have a Red Heeler that is 6 months old. I took her out to the chicken yard from the time she was 5 weeks. Never could break her of chasing the chickens so I just don't take her out there anymore. She never tried to hurt them just chase but it upset the chickens. I wouldn't trust a neighbors dog no matter what the breed.

We have a Blue Heeler who used to chase the wild turkeys off the property. When we first got our hens she started to chase them, but with discipline and bringing her up to the birds and coop she has become their protector. She helps me herd them into the coop at night if a couple of them stay out a little longer than the rest. Some of the chickens will now follow her around and help chase of the turkeys off the property. I found it took a little of training and time to work with her and now I completely trust her to help keep predators away from the hens.

I know each dog is different and has their own disposition, but I feel lucky to have such a good dog!
thanks for posting this subject
Mark

Any dog could kill your chickens. Will they depends on a lot of things.

Our neighbors have two blues who are very well trained. When we first put the chickens and rabbits in the outdoor pen, we brought the dogs over and had them "meet" the animals. We reinforce often that the dogs are not to chase the birds and bunnies. We praise the dogs often and offer biscuits when they obey. The chickens come out of the pen for daily free-ranging; the dogs are curious but so far haven't shown any desire to chase them. The chickens and rabbits are tolerant of the dogs' presence but I certainly wouldn't say they are comfortable with the dogs' presence; they keep their distance.

These same dogs have a blood lust for squirrels, moles, snakes, toads, and scorpions and kill plenty of those around the yard. They chase deer but leave the cows alone. They chase coyotes and raccoons but are friendly to other dogs. They bark at adults but love kids. I am thankful for the dogs as they keep predators away from my animals.

Having said all that, I would still be wary. You never know when a dog will have an "off" day.

At the very least, you could make friends with your neighbor's dogs, get them to listen to basic commands, such as "STOP", "SIT", and "NO". Introduce them to your birds. Be sure they know certain areas of your yard are off limits. Offer tasty biscuits and plenty of praise when the dogs do visit. And voice your concerns to your neighbor; you both can work together to keep the dogs on thier best behavior.

Good luck!

herding dogs can be the worst, keep your fences secure and periodically put cayenne pepper around your borders. dogs hate the pepper and a few good sniffs will deter him for good.
i sugest a minimum of 6 ft fence, these guys are good jumpers

Lol....I had to laugh when I read about putting a dead chicken around a dogs neck (I mean no disrespect) but it made me think of the time my sisters Dalmatian decided to kill one of her chickens and she tried this trick......dear Daisy dog thought she had the best thing in the world tied around her neck and did all she could to roll around and eat most of it......it was really gross but she thought my sister had done her a big favor by putting a snack around her neck :) Needless to say Daisy could never be trusted around the chickens alone....there are some dogs that just never learn.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had one that I rehomed because he started killing birds and nothing would get him to stop.

Back
Top Bottom