BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
so here are my blue isbar/SFH crosses, all three of which (out of 3 eggs set) hatched overnight:

one splash and two blacks! they look very isbar-ish to start, but i'll be interested to see if/when the distinctive SFH flocking starts kicking in!

this is a picture of their mom, the swedish flower hen:

astrid -- she's blue-based for their coloring

and dad, my handsome blue isbar:

blue

@dfdesigns was kind enough to send me a box of eggs last week, so 17 isbar eggs have now been in the incubator for a week, and I just candled them: one absolutely developing, one probably, three maybes, five probably-nots, and seven definitely-nots (most with completely detached air cells). i took the definitely-nots out, will re-candle the rest again tomorrow & perhaps take more out.

*sigh* -- i'm about to give up on shipped eggs for good -- and a little concerned that i may end up hatching one lone chick out of this batch.

@dfdesigns was kind enough to send me a box of eggs last week, so 17 isbar eggs have now been in the incubator for a week, and I just candled them: one absolutely developing, one probably, three maybes, five probably-nots, and seven definitely-nots (most with completely detached air cells). i took the definitely-nots out, will re-candle the rest again tomorrow & perhaps take more out.

*sigh* -- i'm about to give up on shipped eggs for good -- and a little concerned that i may end up hatching one lone chick out of this batch.
Dana has such lovely eggs. I'm curious as to how long it took the USPS to get them to you...mine took 7 days each time to NW Oregon and I have no chicks from Dana's birds.
he.gif

Dana has such lovely eggs. I'm curious as to how long it took the USPS to get them to you...mine took 7 days each time to NW Oregon and I have no chicks from Dana's birds.
he.gif

i've gotten three shipments from Dana, the first took 3 days (from San Diego to Sonoma County), the other two were on time in two days -- and the only one with a broken egg was this last box, one out of 18 broke.

but that first shipment (a dozen eggs, i think) produced one chick, the second three, and now this one is not looking good.

and i'm pretty sure the eggs are not to blame -- nor the breed in general! i also got a large box of beautifully packed cream legbar eggs earlier this year, and absolutely zero of them hatched. despite letting the shipped eggs rest for a day before putting them in the incubator, and incubating for the first three or four days with no turning, to try to let the air cells settle down. but they just seem to get too scrambled by shipping, and/or I simply don't have the touch. all the eggs i've incubated from my own flock have hatched great, except for a few clears.

i've gotten three shipments from Dana, the first took 3 days (from San Diego to Sonoma County), the other two were on time in two days -- and the only one with a broken egg was this last box, one out of 18 broke.

but that first shipment (a dozen eggs, i think) produced one chick, the second three, and now this one is not looking good.

and i'm pretty sure the eggs are not to blame -- nor the breed in general! i also got a large box of beautifully packed cream legbar eggs earlier this year, and absolutely zero of them hatched. despite letting the shipped eggs rest for a day before putting them in the incubator, and incubating for the first three or four days with no turning, to try to let the air cells settle down. but they just seem to get too scrambled by shipping, and/or I simply don't have the touch. all the eggs i've incubated from my own flock have hatched great, except for a few clears.
It's just the luck (or unluck?) of the USPS I think? I've shipped eggs to Florida that got 86% hatch rate.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom