blue laced red bantams

Quote:

Thanx Danny! My GL sire, Midas, is so red - I'm really hoping he's carry Mahogany. (My "straight" GL cockerels sired by Midas are also very red.) If things don't progress as I'm hoping, I'll get some Red Cochins to breed in.

yep Danny, I was looking for the darker true red birds to use. I have bought some old jusnk hatchery "reds" to use, but none ever colored up even close to red to me, mainly buff or an old washed out color. A mahogany red would be perfect, I ilke the color of that one Coopa Cabana has pictured.
The "mahogany" old english I have seen, arent solid colored though, so didnt know if they would even work, would hate to add in more patterns to have to correct on.

Don't you just love all my mispelling. I am about as sharpe as a bowling ball on this computer. I forget to read sometimes before I send it. Aubrey how about a black tailed red old english? I am going to assume you don't have a black tailed red D'Anver.
Quote:
yea Chris,
RED is my goal, the blue laced silvers and golds are no problem, once I get the correct to type , all I'll have to do then is cross them to a splash and back breed to the laced after that, that's no big deal there.
The red is my problem, trying to find a good candidate to use. would love to find some nice dark red old english to use with the GL to get them ready a quick cross to my GL to get the red laced would knock years off as opposed to spending 4 years or better to get the GL 'danvers perfected just to out cross them again after that and start all over.

Does anyone know anyone with some nice red or even red laced old english, or anything similar in body shape? Time and pen space are no problem, just need to find some good candidated to work with.
My goals are black laced, Blue Laced Red D'Anvers in the long run,
but like I said, I am working on the gold, silver and buff too ( in blue as well on the silver and gold) But, I have those going, so no biggie there.
A good source of a red bird would be great!, needs to be bantam though

you mean this, lol

IMG_2572.jpg

they are Ginger reds actually, but very similar, have a few that are very dark red too, Cant believe I havent thought of them yet, brain dead I guess, was thinking solid reds....

wonder how hard to correct the tail will be? or if they have mahogany in them?
I bought these this year, so have no idea what the originator used to make them, but he darn sure got them back to excellent type
What yall think!

Quote:
Using Splash should change all black to blue.
The ABA description of Blue Laced Red Plumage describes the TAIL as follows:
For Males:
TAIL: Mail Tail - blue, with shafts and extreme center, red. Sickles, Lesser Sickles and Coverts - blue, with red shaft and center.

For females:
TAIL: Main Tail - red, each feather laced with blue, the blue being wider at extremity of feather. Coverts - rich red, each feather regularly laced with a narrow blue lacing conforming to shape of feather.

Last edited:
That's why I like to get other opinions because other people sometimes have ideas you never thought of when they are literally right under your nose. It has happened to me several times.
Quote:

Quote:
yep, was just over on the chicken calculator, bt red, or ginger red are showing both should give red laced when crossed to the gold laced as F1's.
Showing full laced tails on the F1's as well, so that's great, will try those to start this spring and see what happens. If this works, that'll knock a ton of time off, as well as a fortune in feed.
Hope this gets me going!

Back
Top Bottom