Holew-L

Chirping
Mar 13, 2018
Wisconsin
I currently have a pair of Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Chickens that I would like to have purebred offspring, and crossbred offspring from. I have 10 Cream Brabanter chicks that will be coming in the mail sometime in April. I was thinking it would be neat to develop a new color of the very rare Brabanter breed. I was thinking of a Blue/ Red Brabanter. I would like this breed to have the qualities of a brabanter (beard, muffs, Spangling?) but get a new color, and maybe a bit of a larger build from the BLRW. It would be called a Blue/ Red Brabanter because it would not have the lacing of the wyandotte breed. Any thoughts, Tips, advice about starting a new breed?

Why? What benefits would this bring over the the Wyandotte? Brabanter isn't a breed in the US, and giving it a "Larger build" makes it something else anywhere.
In the US, there are brabanters (Cream Brabanters And Gold Brabanters). I would like to make another color of brabanters. Brabanters were an ancient breed that from what we know, went extinct. They were re created, but the original brabanters are larger than the current ones. I would like to give it a Larger build to add back the size loss and create a specimen more like the "Old Brabanter".

Creating new colors can be very fun and very frustrating. And can be a 10-15 year process. With Brabanters you'll have to crossbred them to add new color genes. So it'll take many generations to breed them pure again. Also your not only trying to breed a new color but a new pattern as well. I wish you the best of luck if you choose to go forward with your plans. Remember that color is the easiest trait to control. Body shape, skin/leg color, and comb type are much more difficult. And unless you have all the exact breed traits of the breed your working with, and they must breed true, you still have crossbreds.

I've been working on breeding Lavender Laced Brahmas for about 6 years now and they still need a lot of body work. And Millie Fleur English Orpingtons for about 8 years now. And just about have them where I want them. And I never out crossed to another breed with either project.

Also if I were in your position I wouldn't out cross to Wyandotte. I would use Bearded Polish. This would keep the same body shape, beard, comb type, and leg color. And similar crest shape.

Last edited:
I think your first problem is the quality of Brabanters we have available. There's inconsistency in size, shape, head feathering and beards. Can you ever get back to a white egg using Wyandotte ?
I'm a huge fan of Brabanters. Wish we had more than gold and cream. Would be cheaper in the long run to import birds and then work on them. It would put you ahead 10 years or more.

It would be called a Blue/ Red Brabanter because it would not have the lacing of the wyandotte breed. Any thoughts, Tips, advice about starting a new breed?

I strongly advise against using BLRW, apart from the size difference and brow eggs you will have to get rid of the rose comb, yellow skin, yellow shanks and Columbian based restrictor Co which will make the first generation mostly laced.. I suggest using a different blue based breed that has a similar body build and is as wild type as possible(single comb, duckwing/Black breasted red, white eggs, white skin and dark shanks)

I strongly advise against using BLRW, apart from the size difference and brow eggs you will have to get rid of the rose comb, yellow skin, yellow shanks and Columbian based restrictor Co which will make the first generation mostly laced.. I suggest using a different blue based breed that has a similar body build and is as wild type as possible(single comb, duckwing/Black breasted red, white eggs, white skin and dark shanks)
Excellent points. I would limit outside breeds to Appenzeller and Polish. Both breeds were used to resurrect brabanters. No coincidence they are all Dutch breeds. All are V comb, have top hats and lay white eggs. I would think a silver spangled would be pretty straight forward. Add colors from the Polish and see what you get.

Back
Top Bottom