Blue Laced Red Wyandotte roo?

h2olilee

Chirping
14 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I have 3 chicks that are 3 & 1/2 weeks old now and I am suspecting that the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte is a male. It is already starting to show a pink blush in the comb and wattle buds and is the obvious alpha over the other two chicks, a Speckled Sussex and an Americauna. I wasn't planning on having any roosters, but I do live rurally so it is possible to keep him if it does turn out to be a roo. My main question is is there anything I can be doing now that will increase the possibility that he will be a sweet boy and not an aggressive A- hole? I would like to keep him, but not if he's going to be nasty. I also have 2 older banty hens-- they will all be together eventually. Thanks for any advice!

Bit young for anything except guesses, but generally I can tell those little roosters early just because they stand out a bit. I see zero aggression out of any rooster I raise by not handling too much and just leaving them be. As they sexually mature I make sure they move away from me when I walk at them.

If he tries to mate your bantam hens down the road it won't be good on them, so you may have to make decisions at that point.

Post some photos at 6-8 weeks. By than it will have a red comb compared to any pullets.

Wow, so it's the opposite of what I was thinking-- I thought I should handle him MORE and get him used to me, and the chance of him being sweet would increase. So two people now have said leave him be and DON'T handle him.......hmmm, interesting. Thanks.

Wow, so it's the opposite of what I was thinking-- I thought I should handle him MORE and get him used to me, and the chance of him being sweet would increase. So two people now have said leave him be and DON'T handle him.......hmmm, interesting. Thanks.
If you handle him more he loses his natural wariness of you. They also can start to view you as one of the flock. You become something to dominate as they sexually mature. If you stay out of the equation, you remain the keeper, and not part of the flock. If you want tame birds handle your girls and leave the boys alone.

Back
Top Bottom