Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ilovemydog, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Texasmja

Texasmja Songster

Oct 17, 2011
    Did you want cockerels?...I am not going to say it.

2. Bahahahaha!! Do you really think they're all roos? Suckage. Even Fauna?

[​IMG]

3. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Crowing

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    I have sometimes been able to tell sex at birth, they were more solidly built. You could feel a hardness in their stomach area. They always stood up straighter and if you had them in a relaxed group and made a screeching noise, the males stood at attention and the females crouched down. Not very scientific, but some chicks just are born "all male" and you know right away. I also believe, in my experience, that the females feather out faster than the males. Especially around the tail and shoulders. Other than that, 4-6 weeks is about when you can really start seeing a difference. The wattles will start growing early in a male.

4. mhamilton

mhamilton Chirping

May 11, 2013
    Idaho
    is it a growing trend to "off" cockerels as "pullets" to unsuspecting people? it seems to happen a lot.
    I'm sorry if you've gotten some new roo's when you thought they are pullets.
    that just happened to someone else on here just the other day. on this thread too.

5. pebcrb

pebcrb Chirping

May 15, 2013
    grays harbor, wa

Happened to me! :( its one thing to say you can't tell the sex or sell as straight run but to promised pullets when they are not is awful!!!! If they say straight run then at least you know what your getting into and that its a gamble!

6. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Songster

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I won't even say "straight run", I list them as "unsexed" just in case they don't know what straight run is.

7. SalinasChicken

SalinasChicken Chirping

Aug 18, 2012
    Oregon

Suckage is right! I'm sorry! But yes, it appears you bought all cockerels.... they are lovely though.... :D

8. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA

9. pebcrb

pebcrb Chirping

May 15, 2013
    grays harbor, wa
    True I have seen people say both straight run and not sexed

10. delisha

delisha Crowing

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    Those are definitely cockerels.
    Cute too, and it is wonderful you do not care they are cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by