Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I have 10 fertile BLRW in the incubator today..day 5 so they are 100% fertile..I am happy about that..
I am going to try the splash male next..he has a really nice comb.
I've been collecting my one blrw hen's egg every day but lately they've been nearly frozen right after being laid... (she tends to lay between 11 and 12, I collect at 1230 when I take lunch) and they have been fertile prior to now, but the last 2 groups I set were clear... hopefully we'll get some warmer weather soon. I need blrw babies!

He still has growing to do. But here's the best ones I could get. He even stuck a pose for me. note the lacing on the saddle... and no these photos was not edited.. The tail looks like it was painted. Lol I love it.

wow, he is so handsome! I just cannot wait for my roos to grow up. I am constantly speculating on their coloring, and they're starting to get their hackle and saddle feathers in, so that's exciting!!

I can see that 1 of my roos (I have 4) has some VERY orange hackles and saddles so I think he is being eliminated... I have 3 other good roos though, and their hackles/saddles are coming in dark blue with red lacing (this other boy's are *pure* orange).

they are only 10 weeks... is it still too soon to judge them you guys? :)

left - The roo I think I might keep
right - The roo I wanted to keep but has very orange feathers coming in

closeup of orange

lacing:

to me it looks like the lacing on the Rt is better than the Left; left is too thin and not constant throughout like Rt

looking for true critique (if it is possible at this age)

Last edited:
left - The roo I think I might keep
right - The roo I wanted to keep but has very orange feathers coming in

closeup of orange

lacing:

to me it looks like the lacing on the Rt is better than the Left; left is too thin and not constant throughout like Rt

looking for true critique (if it is possible at this age)
Too ..young..I do agree with your assessment so far..remember..type first..don't even look at color development at this age. If you have more to grow out..feed them out and reassess in a few months.
He still has growing to do. But here's the best ones I could get. He even stuck a pose for me. note the lacing on the saddle... and no these photos was not edited.. The tail looks like it was painted. Lol I love it.
nice fat tail feathers..

Too ..young..I do agree with your assessment so far..remember..type first..don't even look at color development at this age. If you have more to grow out..feed them out and reassess in a few months.
Okay, thanks!
smile.png
I know the feathers will continue to change... I guess I just love looking at them and speculating....
pop.gif
patience is not my strongpoint! lol

I need to grow out more roos.... and not give them away LOL. I kept the darker roo..... he does not have as much red showing on the saddles but I am hoping he is a pullet breeder. This roo above and the one I kept were very hen feathered a few months ago and I told her to keep them till they crowed to make sure they were roos. They have more lacing on the wings and tail feathers than the other roos I have. Never really dawned on me they would be pullet breeders. We will see what they produce. These were hatched from a broody and I don't know what pen they came from my guess is they came from my black Roo as they were all blue.

I should have looked him over more before I sent him home with you.......
tongue2.gif
I do think I will grow a few roos out this year. I may need to do some replacing next season.....

can one of you expand on what you look for in a roo that is to be used as a "pullet breeder?"
it sounds like a roo for breeding pullets should have more lacing on the wings? anything else?

is this only if you have 1 pen for breeding males and 1 pen for breeding females?
Mine will be all together, but I will be trying to breed for pullets.... and keeping the main roo as the sire to all future chicks.

can one of you expand on what you look for in a roo that is to be used as a "pullet breeder?"
it sounds like a roo for breeding pullets should have more lacing on the wings? anything else?

is this only if you have 1 pen for breeding males and 1 pen for breeding females?
Mine will be all together, but I will be trying to breed for pullets.... and keeping the main roo as the sire to all future chicks.

I don't really know what all to look for.... I would think a roo that look more like a pullet. I am telling you these guys could have been pullets about 6 weeks ago. They were laced all over no real solid patches of red anywhere. Then the saddles and hackles started to come in. They have lacing on the wings more so than my current roos. This will be my first go at a pullet breeder not sure what I will get..... not sure what pullet to pair him up with either. Maybe the ones with thin lacing......

Maybe Alex will jump in. He has been talking to PEOPLE about pullet breeders. I have not made it over to FB yet to see what they said.

I have been reading and asking about genetics and traits in Wyandotte the last few weeks, and recently purchased a pullet line SLW rooster to go to my OK quality hens.

Jerry Foley told me how he got his pullet breeders by one day noticing one male he was growing out had more lacing then a normal roo, and he intensively line bred his birds to hold a line to produce better females. Also having a male line... This is called double breeding and is known in a few breeding programs...

A pullet breeder or line is a line that produces good females, and will have pullet like contributes. Like round saddle feathers that are laced.. lacing and other markings on shoulders and back. Stuff not normally seen in males.

A male line is the oppisite. A line that produces nice males. I would guess the female has a lot of silver in her lacing and is clumped together, and real smutty. I have no idea on that one.

Back
Top Bottom