1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ilovemydog, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

He has one little smudge of splash in his tail feathers. (I think i forgot to add his dad was SplashBLR). All of his brothers/sisters were blue or mostly blue in color.
    My roo's chicks though(this is his first year breeding), are dominantly white with some splash spots, blue, black and a few buff. I was hoping to get some chicks like him because I just LOVE his coloration. His hens are blue, splash, buff, and a black wyandottes and there's some babiues from my 3 black OE's as well.

2. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Agreed and well said!

3. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    I posted this in it's own thread but thought I'd post it here also. What crosses with what to get blue laced red? I love the color but would like it in OEGBs, is it possible? Would blue over gold laced work? or over buff laced?

4. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Is this one a Blue Laced Red or a Splash Blue Laced Red? There just seems to be so much blue in her coloring. Will her patterning change more as she feathers out? My first time with a BLRW can you tell [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Looks like a real "blue" BLR, not a splash to me!

6. corvidae

corvidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Utah
    So the hatch went pretty well. All eight hatched, but one of the was badly tweaked--legs not fuctioning right and toes completely curled up. I thought at first I might be able to brace the lags and make little shoes, but one set of toes couldn't even be straightened. The poor thing couldn't do anything more than flop around on it's belly. I ended up culling it after watching for a while to see is it might improve any. [​IMG]

On the upside, the other seven are all completely healthy and happy, looking quite robust with good coloring. Two are a little lighter and will probably be splash. I thought before that I would keep them all, but I feel so crappy the past few days and so overwhelmed with things to do that I am thinking about selling this group. I dunno, could just be that I am way to tired and sick to make a reasonable decision right now.

Anyway, i thought I would throw up some pics of the little tykes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I don't know how to link an URL so I suggest googling "chicken calculator" for the kippenjungle genetics calculator. It did show blr dominant over gl. I've seen posts on here where somebody crossed a blr with a barnevelder and had a beautiful bird.
    Good luck!

8. schamberfarms

schamberfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Indiana
    new to this site but wanted to say cowgirljules your roo is awesome!

9. schamberfarms

schamberfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Indiana
    so what is the dif in splash or laced what is better and why? If someone wouldnt mind explaining.

10. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Blue laced red wyandottes have the Andalusian blue gene. This means that the offspring have the potential to be black (mahogany laced), (dark) blue laced red and splash (light blue laced red). It's a personal preference to what color you desire. They're simply called blue, black, splash. That's why sometimes you see the abbreviation BBS.

Here's the breakdown:

blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
    blue x black = 50% blue, 50% black
    blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
    splash x splash = 100% splash
    black x black = 100% black
    black x splash = 100% blue

With my black and blue (solid) wyandottes, I have a black rooster over my blue hens. So half of my chicks are black, half blue. Unfortunately they aren't sex linked. Either sex can be blue or black.

Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by