Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pics
This 5 1/2 week old BLRW seems to have a lack of lacing compared to other chicks pictured in this thread.  Does that mean anything at this age?  Is the quality of lacing evident at this age, and can they way chicks feather out vary between chicks from different breeders' lines?  Also wondering if the lack of lacing has anything to do with the sex of the chick.  Do roos feather out differently than pullets?

I had one like that a while back. We named him supper and he was tasty. He never did look quite right.

This 5 1/2 week old BLRW seems to have a lack of lacing compared to other chicks pictured in this thread. Does that mean anything at this age? Is the quality of lacing evident at this age, and can they way chicks feather out vary between chicks from different breeders' lines? Also wondering if the lack of lacing has anything to do with the sex of the chick. Do roos feather out differently than pullets?

Where is he from? A breeder or a hatchery? I am curious because I have some coming from a hatchery and would like to see some pics of them. I am hoping also to get some from a breeder shortly....I can't wait!
He's still a pretty bird, anyway
smile.png

The feathering isn't sex linked. His coloring is pretty light, he may be carrying a gold gene instead of mahogany. Since he's less than a month old he still has juvenile feathering. Hang in there, his lacing may come in with the adult feathering in a few months.

I've seen your website now. I'm impressed. Beautiful birds. I totally understand about being too old, LOL.

Yeah, it can get addictive! Have you seen my website? LOL
I am still working on my Wyandotte pages and need to separate out all my ducks into their own breed pages now but I have a fairly large website and if I had time it would be much larger and more informative. Just too little time for all I want to do. days are short and I am too old to move quickly anymore.

I do agree that it is a little early to tell. The BLW roos seem to feather out slowly than some breeds and they can go through motley stages. As of your hatchery vs breeder question, I do not have enough experience to say But from what I have seen in person, hatchery roosters seem to have more of the golden hackles when they are supposed to be darker red. So I would watch those hackle feathers and see where it goes..

Good luck!

This 5 1/2 week old BLRW seems to have a lack of lacing compared to other chicks pictured in this thread. Does that mean anything at this age? Is the quality of lacing evident at this age, and can they way chicks feather out vary between chicks from different breeders' lines? Also wondering if the lack of lacing has anything to do with the sex of the chick. Do roos feather out differently than pullets?

Of all the different methods of sexing chicks, I haven't hear of this one yet. I hatched 4 BLRW chicks. 3 had clearly defined chipmunk stripes and turned out to be boys, 1 had muted/diffused chipmunk stripe and turned out to be a girl. Then I hatched 2 more eggs BLRW from a different seller. 1 hatched with clearly deflined chipmunk stripe which turned out to be a boy, the other had muted chipmunk stripe which turned out to be a girl. Is this normal for BLRWs? Can you sex them at hatch based on the clarity of their markings? I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I've had no such luck sexing wyandottes like I can with welsummers. I know with welsummers you can go by the eyeliner. The color at hatch just gives a good guestimate of whether the chick is a black, blue or splash variety of the blue laced red. I can usually tell the sex around 3 weeks when the cockerels' combs start pinking up. The pullets stay yellow. I tried marking chicks so I can feather sex them. Some pullets feathered quickly, some didn't. Same with the cockerels. But that might just be my strain. If anyone else has any words of wisdom, I would love to learn.

He is likely a hatch from 2 BLR with poor lacing. I really doubt that he will get more lacing as he develops. When they molt, they may get a little more color, but he's not going to change that much from what you have now. Genetically-it's not there to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom