Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Heres my blrw roo hes feathering out nicely considering he barely has lacings as a chick.

Nice coloring!

Well, our chicks are 7 1/2 weeks now and I am still having trouble sexing them. I tried to go by feet and legs, but they all seem to be the same size and thickness. Not looking at combs and wattles b/c of the breed.

Anyone care to take a guess?

Same two, over and over. lol

#2 on left

#2 in front and #1 in back.

We have 18 total, but I'm only posting these. Are they too young to sex for sure?

Well, our chicks are 7 1/2 weeks now and I am still having trouble sexing them. I tried to go by feet and legs, but they all seem to be the same size and thickness. Not looking at combs and wattles b/c of the breed. Anyone care to take a guess? Same two, over and over. lol #1 #2 on left #2 in front and #1 in back. We have 18 total, but I'm only posting these. Are they too young to sex for sure?
I saved a few chicks to add to my flock and the one that I've assumed is a cockerel definitely got color on his comb earlier and has had slightly larger, redder comb and wattles since yet I'm still only 80% sure as the pullets start to get a little color. I think part if the problem is that they also seem to mature slowly so the differences between the sexes is less dramatic.

Nice coloring!

Well, our chicks are 7 1/2 weeks now and I am still having trouble sexing them. I tried to go by feet and legs, but they all seem to be the same size and thickness. Not looking at combs and wattles b/c of the breed.

Anyone care to take a guess?

Same two, over and over. lol

#2 on left

#2 in front and #1 in back.

We have 18 total, but I'm only posting these. Are they too young to sex for sure?
1 appears to be a pullet and 2 appears to be a cockerel. At that age, the size of the wattles is a pretty good indicator. Also, you'll start to notice a difference in the shape of the feathers coming in on their backs. The new feather growth starts between the wings. You'll start to see really shiny, pointy and sort of soft wispy looking red feathers coming in on the males soon. The females will have rounded feathers coming in that have nicer lacing.

I've had really good luck sexing by wattle size at 6-8 weeks. I hatched and raised about 50 BLRW chicks this year and only had one that fooled me. I was so sure he was a pullet until he started getting male feathering at about 10 weeks. It may have just been denial and wishful thinking. I really hoped to have a couple black pullets. I only had 2 black chicks hatch. Both ended up being cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom