Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I think that kind of sexing is only applicable if there is a slow feathering gene(males feather slower).

Here's an album with a few pics on it that are Wyandotte specific.

Good luck with sexing your chick. I'm still playing that game. Keep saying "No more! I'm waiting for eggs and crowing." A few days later, I'm back out there studying. Hope you get a pullet.
Sounds just like me!! I just want to know!! It's driving me crazy haha
Sorry, for some reason the link isn't showing on my laptop ):

Btw, since he/she is a lighter color and not dark.. do you think it'll end up being white with red instead of blue?! ):

The darker as a baby the darker they can be as adults. Some of my favorite pulleys have been splash. The red can look very dark in them.

My starter flock of Blue Laced Reds. They are now 14-16 weeks old; can't wait to see what they look like when they mature more!

I think that kind of sexing is only applicable if there is a slow feathering gene(males feather slower). 

Here's an album with a few pics on it that are Wyandotte specific.

Good luck with sexing your chick.  I'm still playing that game.  Keep saying "No more! I'm waiting for eggs and crowing."  A few days later, I'm back out there studying. Hope you get a pullet.

With the slow feathering breeds you are supposed to be able to sex them by the speed of the feather growth but it doesn't work as clearly as crossing a slow feathering breed with a fast feathering breed for a one generation sex-link bird. Wyandottes are supposed to be one of the slow feathering breeds where you can tell a difference but I never grew enough out to test it. What you have is a "splash" Blue Laced Red Wyandotte so it will be that shade of red laced with that shade of white (or light gray...or you can think of it as super-light blue). With the Blue Laced Red the "blue" color is black with either zero, one, or two copies of the gene that lightens black so they either end up looking black laced, blue laced, or gray/white laced. It is considered a "leaky" gene so breeding splash to splash will give you 100% splash and after a few generations it will get lighter until it is almost white. Adding a black laced into the mix will darken your blues and splash offspring. I personally really like the darker splash but blue is more popular...especially if it is darker. I've thought about changing my flock eventually to a black laced rooster and all splash hens so I can get 100% blue offspring to sell but when they were hatching as a mix I had no trouble selling every one...and then my rooster died! I'm waiting for his son to mature and take over. He's blue and the hens are mostly blues with a black and two splashes.

By the way, with just the right amount of shade the "blue" (one copy of the blue gene) actually DOES look blue. I keep a shade cloth over my runs in the summer and it really makes the blue "pop". It's hard to capture but here's one of my hens (this one doesn't have a rose comb).

Came across what Jerry Foley says about single combs, thought I'd post it in case you were still curious.

"Occasionally, you will hatch a
Wyandotte that possesses a single
comb rather than the desired rose
comb. This is a disqualifying fault.
The single comb is a recessive gene
that still hides within many
individuals of the breed. When you
bred two birds together that
carry a single copy of the single
comb gene, 25% of their offspring
will have a single comb. Some
breeders believe having the single
comb gene in their flock improves
fertility, but I am not here to
argue about that. Personally, I cull
all single combed birds from my
flock. It has not been my
experience that breeding only rose
comb to rose comb has anything to
do with fertility. The decision to
use single combed birds in your
breeding program is a personal
choice that you as a breeder will
need to make.
However, don't throw the baby out
with the bath water. If you have
an exceptional bird with amazing
type and color, but it has some
faults in its comb, I would
carefully weigh the severity of
those comb faults against all the
good attributes the bird has to
offer. You may need to use this
bird in your breeding program and
just cull for combs the next
generation. BLRWs with excellent
Wyandotte type are hard to come
by. Unless you already have a
correctly combed bird of equal
quality in your flock, it would be
best to use this bird regardless of
a few faults."

So that's what the man of many wyandottes says about it.
wink.png

@Five03Farms and @lizzychick , Nice pics!
By the way, with just the right amount of shade the "blue" (one copy of the blue gene) actually DOES look blue. I keep a shade cloth over my runs in the summer and it really makes the blue "pop". It's hard to capture but here's one of my hens (this one doesn't have a rose comb).
Yep! Beautiful. We'll be covering our breeding runs, too. Glad to hear you had no trouble with sales. I wouldn't think so, they make beautiful backyard flocks! But I always second guess myself when I think about trying to recoup some of this chicken cash.

Back
Top Bottom