Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

This is such an awesome breed of chicken. One of the chicks from April comes right up to me when I snap and I also got two roos and their super sweet. Pictures soon!

Hey everyone, not sure if you remember me, but after some concerns over gender, my chicks are now about 17 weeks old, and I have 3 pullets and a roo. Pikachu is so far a really perfect boy. He's not afraid to come up to get a treat when I offer it, but also seems to know his place with me too. He backs up when I go by, and doesn't even get into anything with the older 5 we had before this little mini-flock.

Couple of quick questions on BLRW Roos, because the only thing I have to compare him to is a Black Australorp whom I had to get rid of due to him becoming a jerk towards me.

_If he's this nice at 17 weeks, are chances good he will stay this way? By this time with the last one, he was already charging me. Do BLRW develop later?

_ Any idea when he will start crowing? Again, the other roo we had of a different breed was already obnoxiously crowing at EVERYTHING. Not loud, but enough to be heard by us and neighbors. So far, Pikachu is just about like the hens, except clearly not like them. He's GORGEOUS too.

Also, he has a weird quirk I want to ask about. If he finds a good source of food to eat, instead of standing to eat, he will sit down! Never seen any hen or roo do this- weird huh?

Here are 2 pictures of him. The hen with him in the second picture is my smallest BLRW, Zelda!

@tacmomma12 I've only just started with chickens and mine are just 16 weeks now so I can't really answer your questions. I will say my roo has been crowing for more than a week now. I think it depends on the individual bird. I just had to say that I love the names. I named all mine after Firefly characters. My BLRW hen is River.

This is our lovely Marilyn Henroe. All of our hens are named after famous Hollywood pinup girls. Marilyn is my friendliest girl.

I'll be honest with you, I've been wondering myself. She acts female, no crowing, very sweet, but isn't laying eggs and ought to be by now. Her coloring is abiguous, but those pointy feathers have me wondering. This is my favorite bird in the flock, of course. I'm still waiting to be certain.

I'll be honest with you, I've been wondering myself. She acts female, no crowing, very sweet, but isn't laying eggs and ought to be by now. Her coloring is abiguous, but those pointy feathers have me wondering. This is my favorite bird in the flock, of course. I'm still waiting to be certain.

There is no specific timeline for crowing and flock dynamics are different for everyone. Mine generally start to practice at 16-20 weeks. Some of my nicest birds are Roos. Perhaps a better head shot would help.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom