Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

That's great news as well. If Flowebh somehow does'nt manage any roos in her next hatch, I will likely make my way over to pick a a couple. Thanks!
big_smile.png
(We do love to travel)

thumbsup.gif

Ok, so I am in love with my BLRW roo I acquired from a fellow BYC breeder.
love.gif
He is only 10 weeks old, but I think he is

going to be a beauty! I plan on breeding him to my splash BLR pullets, just to make some pretty little babies and to experiment with my

egg hatching skills. I want some feedback on him, honest but not brutal, I know he isn't perfect.
big_smile.png
I am new to BLRs and I'm still trying to learn what I should be looking for. How better to learn than to post photos for you experienced BLR lovers to critique?
hide.gif

His colors are actually much more vibrant than they appear, it was a very sunny day and it seems to have washed out the color in the photos. Thanks again, and no worries about hurting any feelings.....
hit.gif
I'm going to love him no matter what!
tongue.png

It is a baby..he has a ton of growing to do. I do not like his color/lacing right now, but, it might change after first molt. Probably not enough. It needs to be dark. No orange. I like the beginning of his chest. It looks like it should be nice and deep and round. I see way too many of them flat. His looks rounded already. In one month he is going to look so much different. I can almost visualize how well he is going to round out. Color and lacing can be changed, body structure is harder to change. I think I see knock knees. Hard to tell by these pictures. Legs should be nice and wide. Legs straight. Not knees reaching to each other. His head looks nice and wide. he has potential..but not sure as a breeder. Take a picture in a month..

It is a baby..he has a ton of growing to do. I do not like his color/lacing right now, but, it might change after first molt. Probably not enough. It needs to be dark. No orange. I like the beginning of his chest. It looks like it should be nice and deep and round. I see way too many of them flat. His looks rounded already. In one month he is going to look so much different. I can almost visualize how well he is going to round out. Color and lacing can be changed, body structure is harder to change. I think I see knock knees. Hard to tell by these pictures. Legs should be nice and wide. Legs straight. Not knees reaching to each other. His head looks nice and wide. he has potential..but not sure as a breeder. Take a picture in a month..
Thank you delisha!
I too felt his coloring was a bit too light, it is darker in person than these, but still light. His newest feathers coming in are definitely darker but not sure if it will be dark enough. Can you describe or post a picture of your ideal lacing? I also like his chest, he is a HUGE boy. Seriously, he is a chunker! I will have to go look at his knees and check for what you've described. He also has a few feathers out of place, low on his left leg. How bad/undesirable is that? Will it be something that he passes on to future chicks? I am so appreciative that you took the time to respond! I am still so new and want to learn as much as I can. Thank you!
thumbsup.gif

I'll post again in a month!

Anyone else have any feedback?

Last edited:
Because of copying..i am sending a partial of lacing. I hope it will give you a visual of not only color, but lacing. So many on here have some beautiful birds. Beautiful colors, and lacing. It will not be long before this variety is accepted. Years of hard work from some very special people.

Dark Mahogany..no orange or orange family. Nice tight lacing, no feather faults, no smudging. Because you are concerned and you did ask, there is nothing wrong with hanging on to your boy to see how he turns out. Sometimes they need a second and third molt to see what happens. I personally would not invest the money to feed a bird for years for a look to see what happens on color unless the body type was exceptional.

Because of copying..i am sending a partial of lacing. I hope it will give you a visual of not only color, but lacing. So many on here have some beautiful birds. Beautiful colors, and lacing. It will not be long before this variety is accepted. Years of hard work from some very special people.

Dark Mahogany..no orange or orange family. Nice tight lacing, no feather faults, no smudging. Because you are concerned and you did ask, there is nothing wrong with hanging on to your boy to see how he turns out. Sometimes they need a second and third molt to see what happens. I personally would not invest the money to feed a bird for years for a look to see what happens on color unless the body type was exceptional.

Ok, I think I'm understanding a little more now. His lacing is a bit "smudged" right? And not "tight"? So is thinner "tighter" lacing? (vs. thicker) Or is it just the edging of the lacing that makes it "tighter"? Am I confusing you yet? Hahaha...
gig.gif

Also, the red on this bird is nicely shaped vs. a pointier red in his feathers, is that what I also should be looking for? (I know roos have pointy feathers, I'm talking about the actual color red within the feather) Sorry if my lingo is off, I am trying to learn as fast as I can. I really, really, REALLY appreciate any patience with me!
big_smile.png

He does have some orange in his color vs. this beautiful mahogany. I in no way want to breed an unworthy chicken that does not give a good representation of this breed. As you stated, some very special people have worked very hard to bring these birds to the level they are. I respect that and hope to learn from you all!

Oscar, (my baby roo) was bred by Phage/Luvinbluechickens. I have drooled over their BLRWs for awhile so I was so excited to get the pair I have from them. I will be picking up some more BLRWs next week that will be hatching Monday, from a different breeder. These appear to be from some very nice birds also. Hopefully the chicks I get will be of same quality.

Thanks again! This information and your experience is invaluable to me!
ya.gif

So just wondering do Wyandottes tend to go broody? I only have two BLRW's (well they are both really splashes) right now and they are only hatchery but one of them just went broody and keeps pushing my Cochin off her nest. I will be getting chicks from a breeder this fall and wanted to know if I could expect this with them when they get older? I expected my Cochins to go broody but not the Wyandottes.

My sweet Kaleidoscope honing in on my blue Cochin DB

Does this picture look like what you were describing as pointed SalinasChicken?
I'm new at this also, he is 8 months in this if I remember right.
This is him at 10 months.

Does this picture look like what you were describing as pointed SalinasChicken?
I'm new at this also, he is 8 months in this if I remember right.
This is him at 10 months.

If you look at the saddle feathers(rump) and neck feathers,,,they are sickles..pointed feathers. She might be also describing the incomplete color of the feather like those too..I am a bit confused, and you gave me another idea. thank you..I was lost

This also might help..Mr Foley has worked and worked on these birds..He has some great advise also.

Most people do not cull..they just breed..what ever and hope for the best..that is fine..they are just chickens and make a good meal too.
Beauty takes work..and people have worked hard on these beautiful birds

http://www.foleyswaterfowl.com/blrwyandotte.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom