Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Combs look awfully pink and those waddles seem a bit too developed for 9 weeks. I'd guess both cockerals. Just my opinion.
smile.png
I agree...

Thank you for the help!
I just went out and inspected the waddles closely, #1 is more red than #2 (that one is still more like orange). But, are the waddles too big on both of them to be pullets do you think?

Thank you for the help!
I just went out and inspected the waddles closely, #1 is more red than #2 (that one is still more like orange). But, are the waddles too big on both of them to be pullets do you think?

Well, you won't know for sure unless one lays an egg! But, in my experience waddle development is a sign of boys. My 20 week BLRW pullets have waddles only slightly bigger than your #2. And almost all of that growth has happened in the last 3-4 weeks. They had no waddle development before 16 weeks. However, all the boys I've had started showing waddle growth very early, 3 weeks or so old. Made it very easy for me to sex mine at an early age, but there are always exceptions to the rule. Good luck with yours, they're very pretty birds :)

pet peeve... take it or leave it.
wink.png

but a waddle is how a duck walks.

the things under a rooster's chin are WATTLES.

and yes, both are cockerels IMO. any wattle development before 3 months old is usually male.

that can vary by breed of course, depending on how fast they mature, but typically with 'dottes you should be able to tell usually by 8 or 9 weeks at the most. my cochins i can usually tell by 2-3 weeks. the dorkings tell me as soon as they have breast feathers coming in. roos have black breast hens have salmon/red.

Back
Top Bottom