Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Mine is only 6 months old, she just started laying about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday she decided to go broody! She's been in the nest box ever since! If she is serious, I'm going to put some eggs under her..... silly little thing! I think she got the idea from my other broody though, I think it's contagious! Lol :lol:

Are these guys prone to broodiness?
My adult BLRW has gone broody. She is VISCIOUS! I won't be messing with her... I have no idea what she's setting on though!
all my broodies learn rapidly that aggression to me is not acceptable. if I get bitten, they get picked up by whatever feathers I can grab (handful of back feathers or tail usually) and launched off the nest. rinse, repeat. until she tolerates me checking for real eggs under her. I don't let broodies incubate. I do all the incubating myself and give them hatching eggs and chicks at my own discretion.

2 hens didn't learn and decided it was too hard being broody LOL the other girl that still is, has turned into a sweetheart. I can reach under her and check for eggs as often as I like now. but so far she's only had her own 2 wooden eggs.

I 'train' the broodies like this, because if/when they have chicks, I keep them inside, in one of my brooder boxes for a few days to monitor the chicks and make sure everyone's doing fine, before letting momma and babies out into their own pen.

Im new to the forum stuff so I'm not sure if im doing this right haha!
But I thought this was kinda neat, I have 5 blrw about a week and a half old and they are already pretty smart. I have been taking them outside everyday for about a week at the same time of day, well yesterday it was stormy and we couldnt go out. These little babies at 4:00 on the dot almost start chirping and hollering like crazy and I went to see what the matter was, thinkingmaybe one of my cats git to close. But no they wanted outside and knew it was time to go. I had to pick them all up and let them out of their brooder to play! They wouldnt leave me alone until I did!
I thought that was cool that at that young they knew what was going on.

Im new to the forum stuff so I'm not sure if im doing this right haha!
But I thought this was kinda neat, I have 5 blrw about a week and a half old and they are already pretty smart. I have been taking them outside everyday for about a week at the same time of day, well yesterday it was stormy and we couldnt go out. These little babies at 4:00 on the dot almost start chirping and hollering like crazy and I went to see what the matter was, thinkingmaybe one of my cats git to close. But no they wanted outside and knew it was time to go. I had to pick them all up and let them out of their brooder to play! They wouldnt leave me alone until I did!
I thought that was cool that at that young they knew what was going on.

That is so neat! I can totally see that happening, now that I'm getting the first hand experience. I just checked on mine when I got home from the Dr. and instead of running away when I talked to them, some just looked up and cocked their heads.

all my broodies learn rapidly that aggression to me is not acceptable. if I get bitten, they get picked up by whatever feathers I can grab (handful of back feathers or tail usually) and launched off the nest. rinse, repeat. until she tolerates me checking for real eggs under her. I don't let broodies incubate. I do all the incubating myself and give them hatching eggs and chicks at my own discretion.

2 hens didn't learn and decided it was too hard being broody LOL the other girl that still is, has turned into a sweetheart. I can reach under her and check for eggs as often as I like now. but so far she's only had her own 2 wooden eggs.

I 'train' the broodies like this, because if/when they have chicks, I keep them inside, in one of my brooder boxes for a few days to monitor the chicks and make sure everyone's doing fine, before letting momma and babies out into their own pen.
I wonder if that would work with her? I don't mind letting her incubate them, I just have no idea if she's even sitting on anything! lol

I'm trying decide on which to keep for breeders and which to cull, <deleted part of quote>
Should I wait on their personality to choose a keeper (they will be pets too, and I have kids), so far the silver roo is the nicest. The prettiest blue roo likes Peck me a little when i want to hold him.
My baby BLRW's pecked me more than any others and I was ready to get rid of them. I'm glad I didn't, because they grew into the nicest mature birds, easy to handle, etc. It was suggested to me that maybe they were looking for treats. I will say they are very food driven / easily trained with age and not a hint of aggression to anyone. The BLRW roos have provided good flock protection while the hens forage and are the favorite of all the hens. They will gladly leave their rooster for the big boys with the deep voice.

I got this little beauty about 4 weeks ago and was told at that time that it was definitely a pullet, about 15 weeks old. He/she should be about 19 weeks old now, if the seller was being honest. No eggs, but no crowing either...frankly, I'm starting to feel a bit nervous about whether or not she's really a "she". Any ideas?
I love this bird, and will be so sad if we can't keep her/him. :(

I got this little beauty about 4 weeks ago and was told at that time that it was definitely a pullet, about 15 weeks old. He/she should be about 19 weeks old now, if the seller was being honest. No eggs, but no crowing either...frankly, I'm starting to feel a bit nervous about whether or not she's really a "she". Any ideas? I love this bird, and will be so sad if we can't keep her/him. :(
Sorry but looks like a rooster to me :confused: hope I'm wrong

Last edited:
I got this little beauty about 4 weeks ago and was told at that time that it was definitely a pullet, about 15 weeks old. He/she should be about 19 weeks old now, if the seller was being honest. No eggs, but no crowing either...frankly, I'm starting to feel a bit nervous about whether or not she's really a "she". Any ideas?
I love this bird, and will be so sad if we can't keep her/him. :(

Sorry..... cockerel.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom