Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Gape worms are usually visible in the mouth. They *Gape* the mouth open to breath for days before they perish. The worms invade the trachea and can wrap around the tongue. It is not a worm you can usually miss.
Picture off the web

That black thing is a gape worm
How common is this? Is this something that you would wait to appear or do you do a preventative?

Quote: Honestly, I got my first chickens when my daughter was 5 years old..she is now 35. I have never ever wormed my birds. I eat my birds, so it is of utmost important I used nature preventative measure, and I take fecal samples to the vets office two times a year to make sure my methods are working.
In some areas it is going to be more common than others. How you house your birds, if they are confined, what you feed, and health of your birds all make a difference. No one way is correct for all birds. I always suggest to everyone to take fecal samples in to a vets office and have them float tested. Or invest in a used microscope and do your own. It would be a good investment and you can check for cocci too. You can purchased a student medical microscope for usually under $100. It will save tons of money in unnecessary treatments. Some worms do not shed with certain types of medications. Know the worm first.

I give my birds old fashion preventitive natural resources they can choose to eat or not.
For example...fresh garlic..I chop it fine once a week and offer it in a dish or stir it in there Fermented Feed.
I offer spinach, kale, pumpkin seeds, cucumber, and a variety of other things depending on time of year. Right now we have heavy rains. Logically earth worm activity is greater. Worms come from earth worms. So I offer more garlic and add it to feed. An ounce of prevention..etc

Honestly, I got my first chickens when my daughter was 5 years old..she is now 35. I have never ever wormed my birds. I eat my birds, so it is of utmost important I used nature preventative measure, and I take fecal samples to the vets office two times a year to make sure my methods are working.
In some areas it is going to be more common than others. How you house your birds, if they are confined, what you feed, and health of your birds all make a difference. No one way is correct for all birds. I always suggest to everyone to take fecal samples in to a vets office and have them float tested. Or invest in a used microscope and do your own. It would be a good investment and you can check for cocci too. You can purchased a student medical microscope for usually under $100. It will save tons of money in unnecessary treatments. Some worms do not shed with certain types of medications. Know the worm first.

I give my birds old fashion preventitive natural resources they can choose to eat or not.
For example...fresh garlic..I chop it fine once a week and offer it in a dish or stir it in there Fermented Feed.
I offer spinach, kale, pumpkin seeds, cucumber, and a variety of other things depending on time of year. Right now we have heavy rains. Logically earth worm activity is greater. Worms come from earth worms. So I offer more garlic and add it to feed. An ounce of prevention..etc
Thanks. Just one more question. How much garlic would you give 15 chicken?. I supplement my feed with things from the garden. I do not free range as there are too many varmits. Coons, possums, snakes, bobcats, coyotes, hawks, owls, dogs, cats, skunks, weasels. They do have a large run for each of the two pens. I am going to build more as I want to cull and buy better breeding stock, but have a market for the eggs for the hens I do not breed. One of my houses is raised and one is on the ground. I used to have bantums years ago and had a mobile coop to move around and had trouble with snakes getting in and eating them and coons catching them through the wire, the neighbors dogs digging in and either a fox or coyote digging under.

How about a critique class..I am going to post a few pictures of chicks and tell me what you like..and what you don't..what is part of the SOP and what is a DQ. I will do one chick at a time. You will not hurt my feelings. I know what is good and what is bad. I know if it has potential or if it is a cull. Be brutal and honest.

Bird one
This chick is 9 weeks old and a cockerel. He will look totally different in a month.

Last edited:
Quote: I would do an entire whole head of garlic once a week for a month during the wet season. Than cut it back to half a head once a week. I try to do one clove per bird per week, in the summer. I cut that in half during the winter. I do not always do it because I run low on fresh garlic. I have 150 birds in the spring and early summer. I go threw a ton of garlic. I have started pulling two cloves per head and planting them to make sure I have enough next year.

Last edited:
I bought hatching eggs from Hardin Poultry, out of TN. I only had 2 hatch then I found a farm about and hour away and bought more eggs and hatched 8 more! Wishing I would have started with these birds a year ago! I'd be having beautiful babies now...

I do not see anything wrong with the cockerel, the pictures are not real clear but what I can see all looks great.
How about a critique class..I am going to post a few pictures of chicks and tell me what you like..and what you don't..what is part of the SOP and what is a DQ. I will do one chick at a time. You will not hurt my feelings. I know what is good and what is bad. I know if it has potential or if it is a cull. Be brutal and honest.

Bird one
This chick is 9 weeks old and a cockerel. He will look totally different in a month.

I am debating on showing some of my blrw. Would you only show the blue version? I know they are not accepted into the APA.

Back
Top Bottom