Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

the sex link thing I think would be if you use slw hens and BLRW roos.....silver is sexlinked.

MY little roos are not showing any red leakage yet and they are blue like the pic very pretty. I just recently heard of them and accidentally ended up with some first gen violet.....why are they called violet?

Does it matter who the male/female is? Seems like I recall reading that the BLRW needs to be male and the SLW the female. It also doesn't breed true, if you cross the violet laced to each other, correct?
other way around. use a splash hen and a silver laced roo... you'll get blue laced silver hens with some red leakage. breed them back to slw roos selecting for type, blue and minimizing the leakage.

the sex link thing I think would be if you use slw hens and BLRW roos.....silver is sexlinked.

MY little roos are not showing any red leakage yet and they are blue like the pic very pretty. I just recently heard of them and accidentally ended up with some first gen violet.....why are they called violet?
violet? maybe they mean lavender? (called self blue by the APA btw)

Quote: ok that looks, to me, like lavender, not regular blue... and yes that would take longer to get, since you'd have to use birds that carry the lavender gene who would most likely NOT carry any of the lacing genes. so the process to get that would be long and convoluted.

another problem with the lavender gene, is poor feather quality... so it'd take even more breeding back to silver laced, once you have good lavender lacing, to improve feather quality and type.

Last edited:
Dang it! I found one on the feathersite, was going to post it's pic but this dang button isn't working! Haven't been able to post pics all day!

I seen that one..there is also a link in BYC where they discuss breeding them and creating them. I have never seen them available for sale though. Takes many generations to make them they said.:confused: I would have no idea. I am not  color genetics person.

this is NOT my bird

ok that looks, to me, like lavender, not regular blue...  and yes that would take longer to get, since you'd have to use birds that carry the lavender gene who would most likely NOT carry any of the lacing genes.  so the process to get that would be long and convoluted.

another problem with the lavender gene, is poor feather quality...  so it'd take even more breeding back to silver laced, once you have good lavender lacing, to improve feather quality and type.

it really is NOT lavender. it is just a slw and BLRW crops to get a blue......that is why I don't understand the name.....strange.

if you have the link to the thread on byc about them can you post it please? I can't search on here well either.

Quote: ok that looks, to me, like lavender, not regular blue... and yes that would take longer to get, since you'd have to use birds that carry the lavender gene who would most likely NOT carry any of the lacing genes. so the process to get that would be long and convoluted.

another problem with the lavender gene, is poor feather quality... so it'd take even more breeding back to silver laced, once you have good lavender lacing, to improve feather quality and type.

it really is NOT lavender. it is just a slw and BLRW crops to get a blue......that is why I don't understand the name.....strange.

if you have the link to the thread on byc about them can you post it please? I can't search on here well either.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/284160/blue-laced-silver-wyandotte-or-orpington

Quote: I have Mottled projects going now..and my Gold Laced Orpingtons going. I can't afford another project. My poor DH hates me spending thousands of dollars on projects and we eat the birds I don't like. He does not understand keeping all of them for so long and the need to breed so many and keep so many for so long.

ok I googled it, and apparently someone in 1921 mentioned them in a book. and it's blue laced silver. personally I think violet is misleading... if you're going to develop something called violet, at least use the lavender gene so it's still in the same color family. LOL

Back
Top Bottom