Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Well my leghorn is from a hatchery, so I'm to assume she got two sets of that dominant gene.
I thought she'd be the easiest to try it with since she's the only white egg layer i have so i know which eggs I'm grabbing. Would crossing her offspring back to the blue Roo help with adding color to feathers?

Well my leghorn is from a hatchery, so I'm to assume she got two sets of that dominant gene.
I thought she'd be the easiest to try it with since she's the only white egg layer i have so i know which eggs I'm grabbing. Would crossing her offspring back to the blue Roo help with adding color to feathers?
you want a colorful assortment of feathers, just get some hatchery easter eggers (aka Ameraucana but they're not really). there is no predictability about anything with those guys. LOL and the roos do make decent meals. save your purebred birds for producing more purebreds (that is if they're breeding quality to start with)

if you want pretty feathers skip the white leghorn...... Easter eggers have a nice variety of feather colors. you can breed the BLRW in them to add more lacing and color. to me the easiest thing to do would be have a nice variety of pure breeds for different feathers. BLRW. SLW some penciled and partridge.....maybe some mottled something.

I love this pullet,

Hay Nava, I have a few just like her. But lte legs on mine are a bit mire Yellow.
wink.png
I thought you were going to get out of the BLRW business.
Admitting you have an addiction is the first step you know. LOL

Hay Nava, I have a few just like her. But lte legs on mine are a bit mire Yellow.
wink.png
I thought you were going to get out of the BLRW business. Admitting you have an addiction is the first step you know. LOL
Yea i tryed, but who sm i kidding. I love them. Especially when it rains and they get that crazy hair. Lol ETA: nice avatar.

Last edited:
if you want pretty feathers skip the white leghorn...... Easter eggers have a nice variety of feather colors. you can breed the BLRW in them to add more lacing and color. to me the easiest thing to do would be have a nice variety of pure breeds for different feathers. BLRW. SLW some penciled and partridge.....maybe some mottled something.

I'm a little freaked out by the EE's.
I think they look weird, i guess that would make em easier to butcher.

What height height fence would you recommend for a day run for BlRW. Have you had any problems with them flying over a 4 footer.

Well we have a 7' link chain fence for an outer fence and it is split in half by a 5' fence. Ours are to fat now to get over the 5' fence. they hatched on April 7 2013. If that helps. We just got an Araucana that was hatched a week earlier and he has no problem flying up to the peek of the coop 15' high. Guess who is getting his wings clipped.

Back
Top Bottom