Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

My girl Winona having a stretch :)

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, morning every one what's for breakfast mami.

I have two BLRW,or at least that is what they were sold to me as, does the type of comb tell you anything about sex, breed, etc...? One has a flat ?rose? Comb and the other a straight ?points? Comb.
I think one is looking more like a splash than a BLR but they are only 5 weeks old.
Thanks for any info.
Ricki

I have two BLRW,or at least that is what they were sold to me as, does the type of comb tell you anything about sex, breed, etc...? One has a flat ?rose? Comb and the other a straight ?points? Comb.
I think one is looking more like a splash than a BLR but they are only 5 weeks old.
Thanks for any info.
Ricki

Wyandottes are stocky and they must have rose combs, single is a no no, they may not be BLRW if they have single they may not be Wyandottes, get some pictures and post them so we can see for our selves, also Wyandottes have small tails and are slower feathering than lighter breeds like friesians

I have two BLRW,or at least that is what they were sold to me as, does the type of comb tell you anything about sex, breed, etc...? One has a flat ?rose? Comb and the other a straight ?points?
Splash is still one of the colors that BLR come in, so just because it's not BLUE lacing doesn't mean you don't have blue laced red chicks.

As for the comb, if your birds are out of hatchery stock, getting a single-come chick is not a surprise. I ordered 8 BLRW chicks from Meyer after the neighbor's dogs took out all of my BLRW cockerels (left me with 1 pullet) just to have some instant gratification, and THREE of the 8 have single combs. The single-comb gene is recessive, so if both parents carry one rose-comb gene and one single-comb gene there WILL be some single-comb chicks hatching out (25%). It happens. It is NOT what the breed standard is though, so keep that in mind for breeding and whatnot, if the breed standard is something that you are trying to work within/toward.

Speaking of the breed standard..
It is one of the best tools you can purchase if you are breeding to the SOP. (Standard of Perfection).
Join and support the APA and go see a few shows.
clap.gif
They are a ton of fun and you see some very pretty birds.

well, there goes ANOTHER pullet... the foley girl's only chick. so much for that bloodline.

my theme song is now Queen's Another one bites the dust...

by the time I finish my breeding pens I won't have anyone to put into them!

What height height fence would you recommend for a day run for BlRW. Have you had any problems with them flying over a 4 footer.
My birds go over a 4' fence every day to forage in the neighbor's yard. When I can catch them to clip a wing - it discourages them but does not completely stop it.

Don't know how high they could fly if they wanted.

Back
Top Bottom