Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I'll strangle something if I don't get at least one hen out of this bunch lol. Hatching eggs is stressful. What do you guys do with all your extra roosters? We ate the only rooster we had because he was mean but it was traumatic, not tasty.
I am going to post them for sale when I decide who's my keeper, and who's not.... I figure I can at least try to let them live, especially since I went to the trouble of finding good genetics.. I have 1 pullet that I can't breed (inverted comb) so she is going to get sold as a pair with a roo.

Anyone who doesn't get sold is going to be dinner. Over here it looks like 10 of 21 are roos, probably going to keep 2 wyandotte roos as breeders.

What's the best age to butcher Wyandottes? my other roos that I'll be cooking are welsummers and marans, I've read 12-16wk butcher age? I have only raised cornishX for meat in the past, never slaughtered young dual-purpose for meat.

Last edited:
I am going to post them for sale when I decide who's my keeper, and who's not.... I figure I can at least try to let them live, especially since I went to the trouble of finding good genetics.. I have 1 pullet that I can't breed (inverted comb) so she is going to get sold as a pair with a roo.

Anyone who doesn't get sold is going to be dinner. Over here it looks like 10 of 21 are roos, probably going to keep 2 wyandotte roos as breeders.

What's the best age to butcher Wyandottes? my other roos that I'll be cooking are welsummers and marans, I've read 12-16wk butcher age? I have only raised cornishX for meat in the past, never slaughtered young dual-purpose for meat.

I don't now about BLRW. The Australorp roos I have are slow growing, so.......................... there's not much on them at 12-16 wks !!

so um... does anyone else have this problem? they always insist on perching on my head!!!
gig.gif

"please dont poop on me...
fl.gif
"

the adult sized leg bands arrived this week, I decided to try them out on the Wyandottes who have the thickest legs.
they are pretty loose though...

so um... does anyone else have this problem? they always insist on perching on my head!!! :gig "please dont poop on me... :fl " the adult sized leg bands arrived this week, I decided to try them out on the Wyandottes who have the thickest legs. they are pretty loose though...
Haha, my gold laced always tries for my head or shoulders if I don't give her some direction. If I catch her positioning herself and point to my arm or leg she will jump to those places instead. She also loves to bite at my hair :/

Hello everyone! My girls just stared laying for the first time, the eggs have spots and i can't find any reference about it.
Pic to illustrate

his is a perfectly normal colored egg. Some eggs will hve more spots than others. The spots will come and go. When a pullets starts to lay her tract is just starting and all kinds of odd things can happen with eggs..it is all perfectly normal and makes each bird unique and special.
Quote: I eat my birds and Wyandottes have really good flavor profiles. I do butcher some of them really young. My line is nice and chunky and I can get some nice fat chicks. I ferment my feed and give them a large portion of meat proteins. I use a scale. 3-5lb I butcher. I soak them 24 hours in ice water and salt to let them rest before storage.

so um... does anyone else have this problem? they always insist on perching on my head!!!
gig.gif

"please dont poop on me...
fl.gif
"

the adult sized leg bands arrived this week, I decided to try them out on the Wyandottes who have the thickest legs.
they are pretty loose though...
I love the color on this bird...that is perfect slate blue..

his is a perfectly normal colored egg. Some eggs will hve more spots than others. The spots will come and go. When a pullets starts to lay her tract is just starting and all kinds of odd things can happen with eggs..it is all perfectly normal and makes each bird unique and special.
I eat my birds and Wyandottes have really good flavor profiles. I do butcher some of them really young. My line is nice and chunky and I can get some nice fat chicks. I ferment my feed and give them a large portion of meat proteins. I use a scale. 3-5lb I butcher. I soak them 24 hours in ice water and salt to let them rest before storage.

I love the color on this bird...that is perfect slate blue..
Curious, why do you soak in ice water and salt? Our chickens a tougher than leather to eat. We live on a really steep hill, ridge actually. From running up and down it they build a ton of leg muscle and it is super stringy when eaten...

Curious, why do you soak in ice water and salt?  Our chickens a tougher than leather to eat.  We live on a really steep hill, ridge actually.  From running up and down it they build a ton of leg muscle and it is super stringy when eaten...

Sounds like a brine. When you soak a protein (like the chicken) ina salt solution it allows the meat to hold on to more moisture when cooking. It adds flavor also. Old time chef trick to get nice tender flavorful meat. I use a brine with salt a bit of sugar and some herbs to complement whatever dish I'm making. It is also a food processing trick to get more weight in to the proteins. Look at the labels, a lot will say "up to a 15% solution of ...." it makes the weigh more.
Just some info from my real job!:)

Sounds like a brine. When you soak a protein (like the chicken) ina salt solution it allows the meat to hold on to more moisture when cooking. It adds flavor also. Old time chef trick to get nice tender flavorful meat. I use a brine with salt a bit of sugar and some herbs to complement whatever dish I'm making. It is also a food processing trick to get more weight in to the proteins. Look at the labels, a lot will say "up to a 15% solution of ...." it makes the weigh more.
Just some info from my real job!
smile.png
Thanks so much! Are you a chef?

Back
Top Bottom