Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Hate to break up the happy stuff but I need advise. I just added a new roo and two new hen to my small flock. All came from very established folks. Now a couple of my existing hen have really watery eyes and a hen has just died. Another hen has her beak open a lot and making weird noises. Any ideas?

Hate to break up the happy stuff but I need advise. I just added a new roo and two new hen to my small flock. All came from very established folks. Now a couple of my existing hen have really watery eyes and a hen has just died. Another hen has her beak open a lot and making weird noises. Any ideas?
did you quarantine the new birds before you added them to your existing flock?
(not saying anything one way or another)

Last edited:

Oh no, sounds like upper respiratory disease. Mycoplasma would be my guess. If you are going to treat the birds you need some gram positive antibiotics like doxycycline . Keep in mind that you can get the birds right but they will be carriers. There are several threads on these issues, I would recommend you start researching. Quarantine is essential because the carriers may appear to be perfectly healthy. I am sorry for your loss.

(quarantine)

.this happens and is quite normal with out quarantine practices. Disease and illness spreads very quickly. The weak birds will possibly die and the stronger birds will become resistant. Many people just put birds together and let disease spread. Then treat with drugs and try to stop the flow of the disease. It is sort of like shutting the door after the cows are out.

you have a few things you can do

drug and treat for something you have no idea what it is..or
nothing
I recommend for now...nothing..

Let the birds have fresh air, sunshine, good food and exercises...Let the illness run its course. You have already contaminated your coops and birds. let them become resistant....... try to keep the coop clean.
Read about bio security

If you loose any birds...send two of them off to be tested..then you will know what you have and than you will know what you can do and what you should do.

Purchase Oxine in the mean time.

There is nothing you really can do unless you know what it is..
people online diagnose and treat chickens with out even seeing them is ..a bit scary. Avian Vets with years of experience do not know how to treat chickens sometimes...and too many on line are recommending drugs to treat chickens with out know what is wrong.

(quarantine)

.this happens and is quite normal with out quarantine practices. Disease and illness spreads very quickly. The weak birds will possibly die and the stronger birds will become resistant. Many people just put birds together and let disease spread. Then treat with drugs and try to stop the flow of the disease. It is sort of like shutting the door after the cows are out.

nothing

Let the birds have fresh air, sunshine, good food and exercises...Let the illness run its course. You have already contaminated your coops and birds. let them become resistant....... try to keep the coop clean.
Read about bio security

If you loose any birds...send two of them off to be tested..then you will know what you have and than you will know what you can do and what you should do.

people online diagnose and treat chickens with out even seeing them is ..a bit scary. Avian Vets with years of experience do not know how to treat chickens sometimes...and too many on line are recommending drugs to treat chickens with out know what is wrong.

(quarantine)

nothing

Read about bio security

I agree... building a natural immunity is the best method. one roo got the sniffles over the winter. I did nothing for him but let him free range and eat well, he's perfectly fine now (tho he lost his comb points to frostbite)... nobody else got sick so it was just the 1 off thing I guess, or everyone else is already resistant to whatever it was.

(quarantine)

nothing

Read about bio security

There are those of us that have already had deal with upper repiratory disease and paid hundreds of dollars to an Avian vet. If you read the OP's post they already have dead chickens! Rattling in the chest and difficulty breathing is not the sniffles. Bio security goes some way to protecting your flock but a carrier can disguise its symptoms for longer than the obligatory 6 week quarantine period. Just sitting on your hands and doing nothing , is not sound advice.
On our farm we have a policy, see one, do one, teach one. My vets advice was treat them or cull the lot. Letting the birds suffer makes no sense.
FYI, we treated the 3 birds affected and sent them to a farm where there are no other birds. Touch wood , it's been 12 months and we have had no other cases.
There's a time to do nothing and a time to act. If your birds are dying, you need to treat them or put them down.

What is it with attacking people?

If you do not agree with what I have to say that is ok..you do not have to agree with me.
please post your helpful advise to the OP ..

So on this subject, obviously someone wouldn't want to buy adult birds from a sick flock. But are hatching eggs from a flock of carriers safe? What about chicks that were hatched in an incubator, ie never came into contact with any of the adult birds?

If they can be carriers and not ill, what is the best way to protect your home flock if you are bringing in new birds, other than just quarantine?

Back
Top Bottom