Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Quote: If I see wattles at 6 weeks or before it a boy..
I have 2 two week old BLRs with colored combs. I know they are males. I have 2 four week old BLR and I think one is a pullet. I am still not sure. The male already has wattles.

my 2 that are outside, one was super slow to feather and is developing wattles at 6 weeks old. the other was much faster feathering and still looks like a pullet.
fl.gif

lost one of the new babies from your eggs delisha, but still 2 doing well. one looks like a pale blue, the other either dark blue or black. hard to tell at only 1 week old.

my 2 that are outside, one was super slow to feather and is developing wattles at 6 weeks old. the other was much faster feathering and still looks like a pullet. :fl  

lost one of the new babies from your eggs delisha, but still 2 doing well. one looks like a pale blue, the other either dark blue or black. hard to tell at only 1 week old.

So the combs that are still mostly flesh colored maybe some pink at the top, could still be pullets? I'm just really hoping that my 5 aren't all roos.

Karen,
Sorry you lost a chick..

I think the primary reason was new brand of shavings... Both TSC and other feed stores were all sold out of the normal brands I have used, but southern states ordered some in from another state (fire at the distributor caused problems)... they looked fine but when I started losing chicks (7 in 24 hours after changing bedding) I looked closer and it's got some cedar mixed in. so that's all I can think of... I moved all the chicks off it ASAP but I think a few may have eaten some of the cedar bits since they're not coming around like the should be... I've got them separated into another brooder by themselves since even the youngest chicks were running them over.

the 2 remaining blrw from you are doing well tho.

I think the primary reason was new brand of shavings...  Both TSC and other feed stores were all sold out of the normal brands I have used, but southern states ordered some in from another state (fire at the distributor caused problems)...  they looked fine but when I started losing chicks (7 in 24 hours after changing bedding) I looked closer and it's got some cedar mixed in. so that's all I can think of...  I moved all the chicks off it ASAP but I think a few may have eaten some of the cedar bits since they're not coming around like the should be...  I've got them separated into another brooder by themselves since even the youngest chicks were running them over.

the 2 remaining blrw from you are doing well tho.
I use quilted paper towels in the bottom of my brooder on top of a burlap sack. The burlap keeps the heat in the brooder and the paper towels soak up the moisture in the waste which keeps it from getting nasty in the brooder. I change it every 5 days or so depending on the number of chicks, and I have never had a problem losing chicks. Just and idea everyone has there own methods.

Hello everyone. I just wanted to share some pictures of my new pullet with you. I just purchased an 8 month old pullet from Jerry Foley. I have her housed with my juvenile BLR that I am growing out. I'm including the juveniles as well. I am very excited about this flock.
celebrate.gif

I don't think I could afford to keep paper towels in there and keep it clean...  not with 30+ chicks already out (1-2 weeks old), 54 due this hatch that began this afternoon...  AND feeding fermented feed...
Yea that is a lot of chicks two use paper towels the most I've had at a time is 20 or so chicks, but the burlap does help to keep the warmth in and the feed store sells them for a buck each.

Back
Top Bottom