Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

One more question. What is the difference between a golden laced wyandotte and a black laced wyandotte?

Here's another example of black blue laced Wyandotte

Finally one of my hens is broody. I've been waiting for one of them to be broody. She is sitting on 10 eggs. Its her first clutch, I really hope she stays on them til hatch. Keeping my fingers crossed.

One more question. What is the difference between a golden laced wyandotte and a black laced wyandotte?

The Gold Laced Wyandotte (GLW) and Silver Laced Wyandotte (SLW) come in just one lacing color as the standard, black. So the Gold and Silver refer to their base color. Farmer Viola already posted a photo of a GLW, these are some SLW.
LL

With the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte (BLRW) the Blue Laced refers to the lacing color, and the Red refers to the base color. Except the BLRW can actually come with blue, black or splash lacing. Maybe someone with more historical knowledge of this variety can explain why they weren't just called Red Laced Wyandottes.

As a side note, genetically you can have blue and splash laced GLW and SLW in addition to the black, I'm working on this with my flock right now, but they aren't in the standard for showing.

Last edited:
With the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte (BLRW) the Blue Laced refers to the lacing color, and the Red refers to the base color. Except the BLRW can actually come with blue, black or splash lacing. Maybe someone with more historical knowledge of this variety can explain why they weren't just called Red Laced Wyandottes.

As a side note, genetically you can have blue and splash laced GLW and SLW in addition to the black, I'm working on this with my flock right now, but they aren't in the standard for showing.
I've always wondered this too, but even with Orpingtons they are Gold Laced with the black lacing, but with blue lacing they are called Blue Laced Gold.

gold laced and silver laced implies black lacing on a gold or white feather, the blue laced reds are identified by the color of the lacing but the center of the feather is always DARK RED. blue does not breed true but can give blue black or splash when you breed 2 blues together (splash is the true-breeding version of the mutation, blue only has 1 copy of the gene). so that's why we refer to blue black splash... (or bbs of any breed)

there is no such thing as a plain "black laced" Wyandotte. the colors are silver laced, gold laced (APA standardized varieties) and blue laced red (not yet accepted by APA but hopefully next year it will be!)

Back
Top Bottom