Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I completely understand where you're coming from with the black laced double lacing issues, however if we continue to breed blue to blue the colour will start to fade/deteriorate. It is recommended amongst other blue laced breeders to breed back to a good black laced cockerel every other year to maintain a good solid deep blue colour. If you are concerned with the outcome of this cross I would recommend breeding the black laced boy to just a couple your lightest best laced blue laced hens. This will avoid the risk of hatching hens with a blue too dark and will also maintain good lacing. If you don't want to risk the occurrence of your blue hens's lacing deteriorated with this cross, you can always keep a black laced hen back from your next blue x blue cross that doesn't have double lacing on the back and use her to breed back to a blue, this way you have more control over lacing of the chicks because you know your black hen doesn't carry any dominant doubled laced alleles. Here area couple of the black laced hens I have kept over the years for this purpose:
Lovely hens!

with those very pretty fluffy birds you have....

do you find that you have to trim feathers for good fertility rates?
Not sure is that post was directed at my birds or not, I'll answer anyway.

Male Wyandottes tend to have quite poor fertility anyway, given that they're a rose comb breed. I never thought about the feathers having an impact on their breeding though, I do trim their bottoms if they get a bit mucky or get burrs stuck in them.Maybe I'll give trimming bottoms a go and see if it has an impact!

thanks @Clucksworth it was a general question, but also directed at you, since your birds are beautiful specimens as well as very fluffy.

I just got BLR Wyandottes last year.. so this will be my first year breeding them, and I keep wondering how the fertility will be...

sheesh... I should just pay attention to the eggs huh? It is just that I end up selling most of my eggs for eating, I haven't had that many make it to my kitchen.

My babies hanging out with the big birds

hi guys,
its probably already mentioned in this thread(but I haven't read it all!
hide.gif
)
if I put a BLR Wyandotte rooster over a splash laced red what would the chicks turn out like?
cooper

Back
Top Bottom