Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Hi,
I have 3 5-week old BLRW's, and I just noticed that one has a single comb. I had read somewhere that this is from there being blue orpington blood in them. I was just wondering if this is common?

Hi,
I have 3 5-week old BLRW's, and I just noticed that one has a single comb. I had read somewhere that this is from there being blue orpington blood in them. I was just wondering if this is common?
I did here about the single comb as well. I am not sure how common it is but my 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte has a single comb as well.

Rose comb gene is dominant over single comb gene, so rose combed birds can be carriers of the single comb. A single combed bird should not be used for breeding since it will genetically encourage more single combs in future generations. Siblings of the single combed bird will carry the single comb gene (recessive) so it may continue to pop up in future generations when breeding. Single combs should be culled out in favor of rose combs

Rose comb gene is dominant over single comb gene, so rose combed birds can be carriers of the single comb. A single combed bird should not be used for breeding since it will genetically encourage more single combs in future generations. Siblings of the single combed bird will carry the single comb gene (recessive) so it may continue to pop up in future generations when breeding. Single combs should be culled out in favor of rose combs

however... some breeders like it if their rooster has only one rose comb gene... since there have been studies that show that a homozygous for rose comb (two rose comb genes) rooster might have lower fertility.

With that said... I prefer a homozygous rooster

I dunno how common it is.....

I only have one set of Wyandottes... Bantam Blue Laced Red, all from the same breeder... none have a single comb
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom