Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Understood. I guess it is possible that their parents were splash. The breeder we got them from has all three varieties.

I was looking through your albums just now and your birds are very pretty. That's one thing I love about the BLRW, they are always beautiful, but your birds show great potential, IMO. I was wondering why you chose Karl over Napoleon.

What kind of camera do you have? Those pics are very nice!

Well, let's be sure to check in with one another as our birds grow up. Will be interesting to compare as they mature! :)

Thank you very much! I chose Karl over Napoleon primarily because of the size difference. Karl is just huge, with good type, while Napoleon is closer in size & height to my hens. He would tend to blend in with the hens when the flock was free ranging. He also had 3 leaders on his comb, while Karl has only 1 so I didn't want to perpetuate that trait.

The camera I have is an entry level DSLR Nikon 3300 - I love it! It takes great photos and was relatively inexpensive.
I do need to get out there and get updated photos of my birds but have been super busy lately.. and the older girls are molting right now anyway.

Last edited:
@gachooks
I pulled out my SOP book to look at Wyandotte stuff and I found an example on pg 23 that I think answers your question about what "mossy" is...
here are photos of mossy and mealy feathers:

edited to add..
in addition to the SOP, there is also a 14 page $10 ebook by Jerry Foley on foleyswaterfowl.com about breeding BLRW if you're interested :)

Last edited:
@gachooks
I pulled out my SOP book to look at Wyandotte stuff and I found an example on pg 23 that I think answers your question about what "mossy" is...
here are photos of mossy and mealy feathers:

edited to add..
in addition to the SOP, there is also a 14 page $10 ebook by Jerry Foley on foleyswaterfowl.com about breeding BLRW if you're interested :)

Thank you.
smile.png
I do have both of those books.

It looks like our adult BLRW hen does have mossy feathers.

Do correct me if I'm wrong, please. Idk, guess I was just hoping someone would say, "No, that isn't as bad as it could be." or something.
hmm.png

Thank you.:) I do have both of those books. It looks like our adult BLRW hen does have mossy feathers. Do correct me if I'm wrong, please. Idk, guess I was just hoping someone would say, "No, that isn't as bad as it could be." or something. :/
Yes, I can agree they do look mossy. But that shouldn't condemn the bird or discourage you from your breeding program! Imagine how rare it is to find a truly perfect bird from a show quality / SOP standpoint - a needle in a haystack! Every breeding program has its starting point, at which time the birds are not perfect. By identifying the traits you want to improve, you can breed and cull the following year to reflect those traits. Breeding is a long slow process and takes a lot of patience because you're always growing out last year's breeding decisions. You literally need to hatch hundreds of chicks and cull down to the best handful (5? 3?) Of hens for the next year. Only by widening the pool by hatching 100's can you make the best selection based on the traits you intended to improve on. So no... I dont think it's that bad, at all. Can you take THIS particular bird to a show? Well... probably not. Can she be used smartly in a breeding program? Certainly. Remember, the type and size of your birds should be considered (bred toward) before color.

hugs.gif
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll take it to heart(and head, and notepad). We're taking good care of our girls(and boys). I'm sure they'll do the same for us.
wink.png
hugs.gif
no problem! It's the same pep talk I still give myself every time I visit with the flock... I can sit around and pick out various traits I want to improve on, or find something new I hadn't noticed before and feel discouraged at the wrench thrown in my mental plans.

But I really enjoy the time spent looking at them, inspecting their different traits, theorizing how I might set up next year's breeding pens, etc. My husband has to be soooo sick of hearing about it by now
wink.png
Patience is the hardest part for me. Waiting for them to grow up takes a long time and gives you a lot of time to think about pairings. It's a multi-year investment, but to me it's very rewarding and fun!

hugs.gif
no problem! It's the same pep talk I still give myself every time I visit with the flock... I can sit around and pick out various traits I want to improve on, or find something new I hadn't noticed before and feel discouraged at the wrench thrown in my mental plans.

But I really enjoy the time spent looking at them, inspecting their different traits, theorizing how I might set up next year's breeding pens, etc. My husband has to be soooo sick of hearing about it by now
wink.png
Patience is the hardest part for me. Waiting for them to grow up takes a long time and gives you a lot of time to think about pairings. It's a multi-year investment, but to me it's very rewarding and fun!

Agreed! Thinking of changing my indian name to "She who stares at chickens". lol

Is there anyone out thee that has BLRW eggs or chicks for sale. I live in Mississippi and they are few and far between. I would love to have some because they are the prettiest bird in my opinion. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom