Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

We were SOOO sure this guy was a cockerel, but recently I'm changing opinion. "Bucky" is 6 weeks old. What do you think? When the comb and wattles are not washed out by the flash, they are pinkish.

I vote pullet :)
Out of the breeds I have, this by far is the toughest to sex! But also one of the best I have. Too bad they don't hatch with a pink or blue feather to help us out. :)
they are seriously tough to sex that's for sure!

I don't seem to have an issue sexing them. If there is any pink to comb even if wattles are late development its a Cockerel. The pullets don't get any color until much later. I do also notice cockerels have slower feather development than the pullets, if late tails, always a Cockerel.

I don't seem to have an issue sexing them. If there is any pink to comb even if wattles are late development its a Cockerel. The pullets don't get any color until much later. I do also notice cockerels have slower feather development than the pullets, if late tails, always a Cockerel.

Well, what do you think of mine, all have tails and high feather development but chick two was a little slower to get its.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1088852/blue-laced-red-wyandotte-growth/30#post_16812601

All right, I need some educated guesses. These are just over three weeks.
Chick one

Chick two

Chick three

Chick four

Up until the age of 6 weeks there is only a small window of opportunity to recognize other indicators such as butt fluff and feathering. At 2 weeks I usually band the bald butts because things are changing so rapidly. Your next indicator should occur during the week . The Roos will redden in the comb and the pullets will remain a light flesh tone, and of course the wattle will ' drop ' on the cockerels.

IMO, I still think 1,2,3 pullets, 4 cockerish but I'm on the fence with 3. I am calling three a pullet just because she had a tail from the get go. They are going to change so much. Oh, and I am only weighing in for what it's worth. <3

IMO, I still think 1,2,3 pullets, 4 cockerish but I'm on the fence with 3. I am calling three a pullet just because she had a tail from the get go. They are going to change so much. Oh, and I am only weighing in for what it's worth. <3

I KNOW THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING haha!! Going by butt fluff two is a roo because he was late getting his tail. going by wattles three has the reddest most "drop" to the wattles and the WORST personality, three really does have more than four in person. He sucks them up when I take pics! But was one of the first to feather and get a tail. 1 2 and 4 still have flesh to pink colored comb/wattles... Gah they really are the worst to sex!

Last edited:
I KNOW THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING haha!! Going by butt fluff two is a roo because he was late getting his tail. going by wattles three has the reddest most "drop" to the wattles and the WORST personality, three really does have more than four in person. He sucks them up when I take pics! But was one of the first to feather and get a tail. 1 2 and 4 still have flesh to pink colored comb/wattles... Gah they really are the worst to sex!

You obviously don't breed silkies. ;)

Back
Top Bottom