Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Here are my first blue laced red wyandottes!!! I am so excited to finally have them!! I have been waiting for over a year and finally found them in pullets, not straight run. I have 3 SLW and their patterns are beautiful on their chest and horrible on their backs. I have high hopes for these girls!!! Thoughts on how their coloring might turn out? I tried to pick different colorings!
[/IMG][/IMG]

They all look splash color to me

I've never had the darker combs all be one sex or the other in mine, nor have any pullets had any early pink to the comb. I would say first part would be great news with the later being even more frustrating.

Last edited:
Here are my first blue laced red wyandottes!!! I am so excited to finally have them!! I have been waiting for over a year and finally found them in pullets, not straight run. I have 3 SLW and their patterns are beautiful on their chest and horrible on their backs. I have high hopes for these girls!!! Thoughts on how their coloring might turn out? I tried to pick different colorings!
[/URL]

Congrats! They are so cute! I am seeing primarily Splash it looks like. where from?

here are color comparisons - look at the back stripe color.

this is a 1 day old Blue chick (red back)

The one putting it's butt toward the camera is a Splash (very light dusty back stripe)

the chick in the middle in the front of the photo with the black back stripe is a Black

L to R: Blue - Splash (top) - Black (bottom) - Blue - Blue

For me, it is hard to tell Black and Blue apart! Splash are pretty obvious really early on.

I have noticed that BLRW breeders (and hatcheries) will sell all Splash batches as "BLRW" without really specifying that they are Splash. This kind of bothers me, I wish they would be more up front about it.

I am trying to sell my Splash and Black chicks right now, and no one is interested - only in Blues (which I am keeping!). So I guess I can see how/why it happens
sad.png

once I get enough Blues hatched out I plan to sell "entire hatches" meaning they get the full range of blue/black/splash. It's the only fair way I know how to do it... curious what other BLRW breeders do with their blacks and splash?

Last edited:
here are color comparisons - look at the back stripe color. They're from privett in New Mexico! I just couldn't believe I found blrw pullets!! this is a 1 day old Blue chick (red back) The one putting it's butt toward the camera is a Splash (very light dusty back stripe) the chick in the middle in the front of the photo with the black back stripe is a Black L to R: Blue - Splash (top) - Black (bottom) - Blue - Blue For me, it is hard to tell Black and Blue apart! Splash are pretty obvious really early on. I have noticed that BLRW breeders (and hatcheries) will sell all Splash batches as "BLRW" without really specifying that they are Splash. This kind of bothers me, I wish they would be more up front about it. I am trying to sell my Splash and Black chicks right now, and no one is interested - only in Blues (which I am keeping!). So I guess I can see how/why it happens :( once I get enough Blues hatched out I plan to sell "entire hatches" meaning they get the full range of blue/black/splash. It's the only fair way I know how to do it... curious what other BLRW breeders do with their blacks and splash?

here are color comparisons - look at the back stripe color. this is a 1 day old Blue chick (red back) The one putting it's butt toward the camera is a Splash (very light dusty back stripe) the chick in the middle in the front of the photo with the black back stripe is a Black L to R: Blue - Splash (top) - Black (bottom) - Blue - Blue For me, it is hard to tell Black and Blue apart! Splash are pretty obvious really early on. I have noticed that BLRW breeders (and hatcheries) will sell all Splash batches as "BLRW" without really specifying that they are Splash. This kind of bothers me, I wish they would be more up front about it. I am trying to sell my Splash and Black chicks right now, and no one is interested - only in Blues (which I am keeping!). So I guess I can see how/why it happens :( once I get enough Blues hatched out I plan to sell "entire hatches" meaning they get the full range of blue/black/splash. It's the only fair way I know how to do it... curious what other BLRW breeders do with their blacks and splash?
I sell all 3 colors right now and don't have a big issue with it. Some prefer the blues but will take the splash and black to fill the amount they want. Once the twmps warm up a bit here I will keep some blues back foryself to grow out this year. I normally grow out all winter but didn't this year. I built a new house and just don't have the area to house them like I want as my chicken addition is not even started yet. Hope to get working on it in the next week our twmps are suppose to come back up to normal. We've been having snow every other day here seems like. I already have a few other breeds growing out in my bathroom along with thw new chicks im hatching and running out of space fast.

I sell all 3 colors right now and don't have a big issue with it. Some prefer the blues but will take the splash and black to fill the amount they want. Once the twmps warm up a bit here I will keep some blues back foryself to grow out this year. I normally grow out all winter but didn't this year. I built a new house and just don't have the area to house them like I want as my chicken addition is not even started yet. Hope to get working on it in the next week our twmps are suppose to come back up to normal. We've been having snow every other day here seems like. I already have a few other breeds growing out in my bathroom along with thw new chicks im hatching and running out of space fast.

I wish I would've done a little research!!! I just picked some dark, light, and in between thinking maybe there'd be a little variety! Either way, I'm sure they'll be gorgeous!!

Back
Top Bottom