Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

here are color comparisons - look at the back stripe color. this is a 1 day old Blue chick (red back) The one putting it's butt toward the camera is a Splash (very light dusty back stripe) the chick in the middle in the front of the photo with the black back stripe is a Black L to R: Blue - Splash (top) - Black (bottom) - Blue - Blue For me, it is hard to tell Black and Blue apart! Splash are pretty obvious really early on. I have noticed that BLRW breeders (and hatcheries) will sell all Splash batches as "BLRW" without really specifying that they are Splash. This kind of bothers me, I wish they would be more up front about it. I am trying to sell my Splash and Black chicks right now, and no one is interested - only in Blues (which I am keeping!). So I guess I can see how/why it happens :( once I get enough Blues hatched out I plan to sell "entire hatches" meaning they get the full range of blue/black/splash. It's the only fair way I know how to do it... curious what other BLRW breeders do with their blacks and splash?
we had no idea they were sold that way either, until we bought three and ended up with all Splash. They were posted for sale as Juvenile Splash. The hen went within an hour. The roos ate still for sale until the end of June, at which time they will get mixed with noodles and veggies. Lesson learned. Thanks for the tutorial. We wish we had found it a little over 6 weeks ago.

a photo of the pullet with a close up of her lacing is what folks wanted to see after she was posted for sale. Once the lacing photo was posted, she sold in about 5 minutes and we had inquiries with emails sent in case we get any more.

I don't care if they end up all splash, they are for pets/eggs. I don't breed them. BUT, that being said, I would've liked to have had the option of splash/blue/black! But that's alright!! I love them regardless. I just want to see full lacing! My 3 SLW have beautiful lacing on their chests, but terrible(practically none) on their wings/backs. That was a bit of a disappointment.

here are color comparisons - look at the back stripe color. this is a 1 day old Blue chick (red back) The one putting it's butt toward the camera is a Splash (very light dusty back stripe) the chick in the middle in the front of the photo with the black back stripe is a Black L to R: Blue - Splash (top) - Black (bottom) - Blue - Blue For me, it is hard to tell Black and Blue apart! Splash are pretty obvious really early on. I have noticed that BLRW breeders (and hatcheries) will sell all Splash batches as "BLRW" without really specifying that they are Splash. This kind of bothers me, I wish they would be more up front about it. I am trying to sell my Splash and Black chicks right now, and no one is interested - only in Blues (which I am keeping!). So I guess I can see how/why it happens :( once I get enough Blues hatched out I plan to sell "entire hatches" meaning they get the full range of blue/black/splash. It's the only fair way I know how to do it... curious what other BLRW breeders do with their blacks and splash?
I know blue is the most popular but they are all beautiful. I have blue and splash and would love to add black just to have them all. I've got 4 local folks who want chicks and color doesn't matter to them, but half of the eggs I set were not fertile :-( so it may be time for a new roo.

I don't care if they end up all splash, they are for pets/eggs. I don't breed them. BUT, that being said, I would've liked to have had the option of splash/blue/black! But that's alright!! I love them regardless. I just want to see full lacing! My 3 SLW have beautiful lacing on their chests, but terrible(practically none) on their wings/backs. That was a bit of a disappointment.

Splash are very pretty garden ornaments. Breeders cull them because they tend to dilute the highly sought after blue colour and lacing. If you are not breeding , you should enjoy your birds as much anyone.

Back
Top Bottom