Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I'd say cockerel .
roll.png
I've maintained the thought he's a cockerel from day 2. Slow comb and wattle growth has had me second guessing lately. That and even patterned, rounded feathers.

I've maintained the thought he's a cockerel from day 2. Slow comb and wattle growth has had me second guessing lately. That and even patterned, rounded feathers.

I would think at that age you'd have some serious wattles on a roo.. What made you think he was a boy though?

I was only thinking he was a boy because even though the hackle feathers are trimmed with blue making them look pointy but they are actually rounded, (they are the same shape as my EE hen), and those curved feathers at the tail DO look saddle-y, except not really narrow or shiny. I've seen hens with similar feathers. For a minute, I thought the wattles were growing and reddening, but they stopped and didn't grow any more and paled a bit since. The comb always had a pinkish tint, but never grew. It looked like it would any day. That's all I got. FB is voting hen, and I am hopeful because I would rather a hen. Although I am keeping him if he's a roo. He's nice.

I would think at that age you'd have some serious wattles on a roo.. What made you think he was a boy though?
I was only thinking he was a boy because even though the hackle feathers are trimmed with blue making them look pointy but they are actually rounded, (they are the same shape as my EE hen), and those curved feathers at the tail DO look saddle-y, except not really narrow or shiny. I've seen hens with similar feathers. For a minute, I thought the wattles were growing and reddening, but they stopped and didn't grow any more and paled a bit since. The comb always had a pinkish tint, but never grew. It looked like it would any day. That's all I got. FB is voting hen, and I am hopeful because I would rather a hen. Although I am keeping him if he's a roo. He's nice.

[COLOR=333333]I was only thinking he was a boy because even though the hackle feathers are trimmed with blue making them look pointy but they are actually rounded, (they are the same shape as my EE hen), and those curved feathers at the tail DO look saddle-y, except not really narrow or shiny. I've seen hens with similar feathers. For a minute, I thought the wattles were growing and reddening, but they stopped and didn't grow any more and paled a bit since. The comb always had a pinkish tint, but never grew. It looked like it would any day. That's all I got. FB is voting hen, and I am hopeful because I would rather a hen. Although I am keeping him if he's a roo. He's nice.[/COLOR]

Well I'm gonna say pullet for luck!! Think happy thoughts! I'm glad you'll keep him either way though !! I'm going to have a tough time picking one roo out of my group to keep. Did you see their four week pics btw?

Back
Top Bottom