Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Does this look like a blue laced red wyandotte chick? Also i know its early at only 3 weeks but gender guesses? :)

Jennifer those look very similar to my BLRW chicks...mine are around 3 weeks old.

I don't have access to all of my photos right now but I really think that you've just got one of those lighter Jubilee chicks that turns out more orange than mahogany. Take a look at the wing feathers on your chick:

Now look at this Wyandotte chick (admittedly younger).

Here's one of those more orange Jubilee hens. Look at the feathers with the white tips and black bands.

And here's a black phase Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hen.

Your Jubilee chick should have started out looking like this:

A Blue Laced Red Wyandotte "splash" chick would start out light like this but would never get feathers as dark as your chick:

Last edited:
I don't have access to all of my photos right now but I really think that you've just got one of those lighter Jubilee chicks that turns out more orange than mahogany. Take a look at the wing feathers on your chick:

Now look at this Wyandotte chick (admittedly younger).

Here's one of those more orange Jubilee hens. Look at the feathers with the white tips and black bands.

And here's a black phase Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hen.

Your Jubilee chick should have started out looking like this:

A Blue Laced Red Wyandotte "splash" chick would start out light like this but would never get feathers as dark as your chick:

Agreed, they are way too ' brassy ' to be splash.

Looks more like a Jubilee Orpington to me. How does it differ from your other Jubilee chicks? It has that mahogany feather with the white tip and black band. Sometimes instead of mahogany they can be more of a brassy orange. The Blue Laced Red Wyandottes will have the dark lacing on the tip of the feather.

It's not the feathers coming in. I'm still thinking it may be a jubilee rooster. It was the down that looked. I'll see if I can find a pic to share from the first hatch..

Jennifer those look very similar to my BLRW chicks...mine are around 3 weeks old.

It's so hard to say. I've Google both jubilee and the blrw and they look somewhat similar. I don't think my guy is though now since he started feathering in more..

This is the siblings minus the silver one..

This was the mystery chick shortly after hatch.

Mystery chick now..

Here are a few more pics. I purchased some jubilee orpingtons and this egg made it in there by mistake. The breeder was really nice and said she believed it was a blue laced red wyandotte. I had silver laced wyandottes and by now the comb and wattles were showing red. This chick is quite big though and is somewhat flighty like a roo. Im at a total loss for gender and i uave no experience with blue laced red wyandottes so no clue if thats indeed what i have lol..
smile.png

Yes we are 100 percent on the cockerel portion now lol. His comb has started to redden. I'm happy to hear jubilee. That means he can stay lol. Thanks for all the help. The blrw thread are more helpful then the jubilee lol. :p

Yes we are 100 percent on the cockerel portion now lol. His comb has started to redden. I'm happy to hear jubilee. That means he can stay lol. Thanks for all the help. The blrw thread are more helpful then the jubilee lol. :p

Except that picture from shortly after hatching looks completely wrong. It shouldn't have all that grey down. Maybe it's half Jubilee and half Wyandotte...except rose comb should be dominant (unless the Wyandotte parent was heterozygous for rose comb).

Except that picture from shortly after hatching looks completely wrong. It shouldn't have all that grey down. Maybe it's half Jubilee and half Wyandotte...except rose comb should be dominant (unless the Wyandotte parent was heterozygous for rose comb).

Yeah the down does loom wrong. Im hoping it's just a fluke. The breeder also mentioned maybe a cross with a rir but the color didn't seem right to me?

Back
Top Bottom