Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I'm hoping someone in this thread might be able to help me figure out how old our new BLRW is. I am new to backyard chicken raising and purchased two Wyandotte's from a lady not far from us. When I picked them up on 9/9/16 I noticed that the blue laced was considerably smaller than the black laced. Both were supposed to be 20 weeks old, clearly this was not the case. Stella is the black laced and Gertie is the blue laced red. Gertie began her juvenile molt about 2 days after we put them in quarantine and is now growing her adult feathers, but her comb is so pale compared to Stella's, I'm worried and want to make sure there's nothing wrong with her. This might be normal for the breed, but I want to be sure. She acts normal, eats and has perfect poops. I don't know if they lady I got them from wormed them or not, but I don't see signs of worms and neither has mites (but I dusted them when we got them to be sure). After flock intro and integration about 3 weeks ago, Stella began laying consistently so I'm guessing Stella is about 24 weeks old. I'm also wondering if Stella is a black laced gold as I'm not positive she is a black laced red. We have never raised hens from chicks so we have no idea how they look at certain ages. The 4 adult hens we already had were adopted as adults this past March (RIR, leghorn and 2 EEs). Here's a pic, I'm hoping folks with far more experience with Wyandotte's can help us determine how old Gertie might be and whether the color of her comb is normal for her age. We want to make sure there's nothing wrong with her:
Stella's color is called Golden Laced......both girls look normal to me but I am no expert. My Wyandotte & Orpington pullets seem to grow at varying rates (ones from same clutches) and some have darker combs, some lighter. If both are eating normally....in good weight, no nasal/discharge and no sneezing........im sure they're just fine.

I'm hoping someone in this thread might be able to help me figure out how old our new BLRW is. I am new to backyard chicken raising and purchased two Wyandotte's from a lady not far from us. When I picked them up on 9/9/16 I noticed that the blue laced was considerably smaller than the black laced. Both were supposed to be 20 weeks old, clearly this was not the case. Stella is the black laced and Gertie is the blue laced red. Gertie began her juvenile molt about 2 days after we put them in quarantine and is now growing her adult feathers, but her comb is so pale compared to Stella's, I'm worried and want to make sure there's nothing wrong with her. This might be normal for the breed, but I want to be sure. She acts normal, eats and has perfect poops. I don't know if they lady I got them from wormed them or not, but I don't see signs of worms and neither has mites (but I dusted them when we got them to be sure). After flock intro and integration about 3 weeks ago, Stella began laying consistently so I'm guessing Stella is about 24 weeks old. I'm also wondering if Stella is a black laced gold as I'm not positive she is a black laced red. We have never raised hens from chicks so we have no idea how they look at certain ages. The 4 adult hens we already had were adopted as adults this past March (RIR, leghorn and 2 EEs). Here's a pic, I'm hoping folks with far more experience with Wyandotte's can help us determine how old Gertie might be and whether the color of her comb is normal for her age. We want to make sure there's nothing wrong with her:
Welcome to BYC! Congrats on your new chickens and getting eggs from Stella. She definitely looks like the Black Laced Red to me. The Black Laced Gold (aka Golden Laced Wyandotte) has a much lighter color - some are even kinda brassy/orangey. My 23 week old Blue Laced Red has a similar colored comb to Gertie's. Stella may just have matured faster. Sounds like no health problems; maybe the next few weeks will show dramatic changes as she nears egg-laying. Good luck.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Stella almost looks like a cross between a gold laced and a black laced red, but in person she really doesn't have much gold to speak of. The picture is of them laying down so it's harder to see the size difference and Gertie has grown quite a bit since we got her and is now catching up to Stella. Gertie was about a quarter of the size of Stella when I picked them up and was still making baby chicks sounds up until recently. Stella had already completed her juvenile molt and was fully feathered, whereas Gertie had just begun her juvenile molt when we got her and is just now getting in her adult feathering. I guesstimate that Gertie is probably only about 14 weeks old now whereas Stella is probably approaching 28 weeks old. I wasn't sure if I should worm Gertie just to be on the safe side as I had seen some posts that said that can cause abnormally pale combs.

I've also noticed that some people boo-hoo commercial wormers, but I'm not entirely sure how to "naturally" worm them.

Just put "worming" at the top search area and you'll find more information than you thought possible. (Pictures too - just don't eat first.)
1f61c.png

There are some very knowledgeable people on this site. Remember, some posts are people's opinions or what they've heard. Others will provide data from research. Enjoy!

Does this look like a BLRW chick?
I bought a mix of eggs, and there were only 2 BLRW eggs, along with other breeds. From pics on web, it looks like it,however a lot of the chicks look alike to me.
If so, shouldn't I see more blue lacing vs black lacing on wing?
This chick is 2 1/2- 3 weeks old.
Thanks for any help.

Hello I somehow missed this thread the last time I posted on here...
I have bred BLRW for about two years now. Lots of improvement needed still in my flock but I enjoy the work.

any thoughts on my birds and tips are much appreciated

Hello I somehow missed this thread the last time I posted on here...
I have bred BLRW for about two years now. Lots of improvement needed still in my flock but I enjoy the work.

any thoughts on my birds and tips are much appreciated

You have some really promising birds there. The 1st one is my favorite, the 9th being a close second. The 4th is really nice too. They all have outstanding lacing, great type, and minimal brassy color in the hackles. Practicing breeding Blue to Blue is a smart strategy, so I would say #1 and #4 would be good breeders. Your males are pretty good as well, I am noticing a couple of them seem to have long backs and hold their tails too high. They all however have great color. The 11th male is my personal favorite. He is the nicest IMO. I would definitely use him as a breeder.

Keep up the good work, they are not an easy variety to work with.

Back
Top Bottom