Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

' without the luxury of foleys lines ' I'm in Australia!

My apologies. I misread that. If it makes those from other countries feel any better, we do not have access to Foley lines here in the US either. He isn't selling them anymore. Thankfully, we do have many others who breed good birds that we can use for resources. Regarding my earlier comments, I want to say, I'm no expert. Having said that, I have, much like us all, raised up that little brassy orange pullet from a chick only to waste my feed and time for it to turn into a brassy orange hen. I merely stated my opinion, being that she could theoretically get a little better, she most likely wouldn't turn out any better than she is now. This is just based on my experiences and some of the other BLRW breeder experience I have heard. Now, her experience could be completely different. Actually, I hope it is completely different. I hope he turns out into a beautiful mahogany bird with crisp lacing and zero shafting. No one wants their birds to turn out bad and I don't want other people's birds to turn out bad. I was just trying to say that he looks like he wont be all too better when he grows up.

You have to work with what you have.

And that is precisely what I plan to do. I know I may not have the best birds, in fact, it's pretty obvious that I don't. But, I mainly chose the breeder I chose because his birds had BEAUTIFUL type and were very sweet, sociable characters. The coloring and lacing can be improved, but it's much harder to improve personality and (for me, anyway) type. I guess the most important things to one breeder are not the same as another breeder's priorities, but that is what I'm going for. I find improving and selecting for color and lacing to be the funnest part of raising chickens, so it'll be easier for me to do so. I'd much rather start out with friendly chickens with great type that need their color and lacing improved than perfectly colored/laced birds with bad temperaments and less than ideal type. Just my personal preferences. And, as they're the only two BLRs I have at the moment, I'd rather just start with them and maybe add others later, rather than waiting another year essentially to start working on my program.

My apologies. I misread that. If it makes those from other countries feel any better, we do not have access to Foley lines here in the US either. He isn't selling them anymore. Thankfully, we do have many others who breed good birds that we can use for resources. Regarding my earlier comments, I want to say, I'm no expert. Having said that, I have, much like us all, raised up that little brassy orange pullet from a chick only to waste my feed and time for it to turn into a brassy orange hen. I merely stated my opinion, being that she could theoretically get a little better, she most likely wouldn't turn out any better than she is now. This is just based on my experiences and some of the other BLRW breeder experience I have heard. Now, her experience could be completely different. Actually, I hope it is completely different. I hope he turns out into a beautiful mahogany bird with crisp lacing and zero shafting. No one wants their birds to turn out bad and I don't want other people's birds to turn out bad. I was just trying to say that he looks like he wont be all too better when he grows up. 

I would kill for one of his cockerels. If you go back through this thread , there are quite a few people that have managed to buy his line , so some of the better birds that are on the market will more than likely be traced back to him. I personally have birds that I have held in great regard only to have my hopes dashed after their first moult. I'm crossing everything that a friend of mine will hatch out some extra cockerels from a very nice line interstate. I can live in hope.

I would kill for one of his cockerels. If you go back through this thread , there are quite a few people that have managed to buy his line , so some of the better birds that are on the market will more than likely be traced back to him. I personally have birds that I have held in great regard only to have my hopes dashed after their first moult. I'm crossing everything that a friend of mine will hatch out some extra cockerels from a very nice line interstate. I can live in hope.

I have someone lined up to sell me birds from his line. They are very nice and although no one can match his quality, they are pretty close.

And that is precisely what I plan to do. I know I may not have the best birds, in fact, it's pretty obvious that I don't. But, I mainly chose the breeder I chose because his birds had BEAUTIFUL type and were very sweet, sociable characters. The coloring and lacing can be improved, but it's much harder to improve personality and (for me, anyway) type. I guess the most important things to one breeder are not the same as another breeder's priorities, but that is what I'm going for. I find improving and selecting for color and lacing to be the funnest part of raising chickens, so it'll be easier for me to do so. I'd much rather start out with friendly chickens with great type that need their color and lacing improved than perfectly colored/laced birds with bad temperaments and less than ideal type. Just my personal preferences. And, as they're the only two BLRs I have at the moment, I'd rather just start with them and maybe add others later, rather than waiting another year essentially to start working on my program.

And your culls would still be desirable for people who just want eye candy and eggs. :)

And your culls would still be desirable for people who just want eye candy and eggs.
smile.png

Yes, exactly. And, arm candy, since both of mine seem to have an affinity for perching on people's arms, lol. That's what I love most about them
love.gif

My new splash laced wyandotte roo someone gave me for free considering they just got him a week prior from someone else but it didnt get along with their silkie roo....poor guy hopefully he doesnt show signs of being sick but if not hell be used for my second generation he was advertised as a blue laced red.....only true wyandotters know the difference lol

Back
Top Bottom