Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

My splash rooster was only temporary. I have two Blue Laced roosters that I use now but I'm thinking about getting a black Laced since most of my hens are splash. I personally love the splash hens and most people like to get a mix of blue laced and splash but a lot of the time people want to pick out only blue laced chicks which would leave me with all splash which are a bit harder to get rid of. If I got a black laced rooster I'd have almost all blue laced chicks (and if I sell my blue laced roosters with my blue laced hens and only kept my splash hens I'd have 100% blue laced chicks).

So.....let me get this straight. You breed BLRW for the purpose of....selling them?

So.....let me get this straight. You breed BLRW for the purpose of....selling them? 

Is that such a novel concept? I enjoy keeping chickens but I also enjoy hatching them out and selling the chicks. I only sell locally but there are enough people that want them for their back yard flocks to sell what I hatch. I don't have any interest in showing chickens or trying to raise show birds. I keep 6 breeds and sell chicks of all the breeds that I keep.

Is that such a novel concept? I enjoy keeping chickens but I also enjoy hatching them out and selling the chicks. I only sell locally but there are enough people that want them for their back yard flocks to sell what I hatch. I don't have any interest in showing chickens or trying to raise show birds. I keep 6 breeds and sell chicks of all the breeds that I keep.

just wondering why you would sell off potential breeders to people.

just wondering why you would sell off potential breeders to people. 

I guess if I was a hard-core show person with my own line then I'd have to raise them up to look for potential show birds and then maybe I'd be stingy with my stock. I'd say my hobby has more to do with the hatchery end of it than anything else even though I absolutely enjoy having the adults.

I guess if I was a hard-core show person with my own line then I'd have to raise them up to look for potential show birds and then maybe I'd be stingy with my stock. I'd say my hobby has more to do with the hatchery end of it than anything else even though I absolutely enjoy having the adults.

well, what i was getting as was i would be hesitant to get rid of my blues as they are the most consistent breeders. plus like you said i would want to make sure that the best ones wouldn't be given away. everyone likes nice birds. regardless of if they are show people.

I bought these at a farmers auction and was told the one is a gold laced wyandotte. For a long time I thought I got some sweet off coloered chicks

well, what i was getting as was i would be hesitant to get rid of my blues as they are the most consistent breeders. plus like you said i would want to make sure that the best ones wouldn't be given away. everyone likes nice birds. regardless of if they are show people.

As far as what I personally like to look at I like the splash hens as much as the blue laced. I like having some of both and right now with blue roosters, one black laced hen, two blue laced hens and something like 13 splash hens I get more than half Blue Laced chicks, almost as many splash chicks and just a few black laced chicks. I know that if I was breeding for show the best Blue Laced come from breeding blue to blue but that leaves me with quite a few black laced and they seem less popular. I used to have almost all blue hens and a blue rooster but decided that for the sake of selling to the locals that I would raise up a bunch of splash hens and a black rooster to create 100% blue laced. Unfortunately when I held some birds back to raise up there were ZERO black cockerels in the mix! So now I'm planning on raising up a black rooster but for a while there they were selling like hot cakes so I figured that I'd wait until things slowed down in the fall to raise up a few to pick out a new rooster. So far I haven't had any cockerels old enough to sex except for a blue laced rooster. I've got quite a few, they just aren't old enough yet. My sales stayed very strong longer than I expected this year so I went from consistently empty brooders to way too many chicks on hand very abruptly. My roosters tend to take quite a long time to mature so I probably won't be changing to a new rooster until late summer. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to get rid of my Black Australorps and add a pen of all Blue Laced birds but I really like the Black Australorps despite the fact that the chicks don't sell for much.

As far as what I personally like to look at I like the splash hens as much as the blue laced. I like having some of both and right now with blue roosters, one black laced hen, two blue laced hens and something like 13 splash hens I get more than half Blue Laced chicks, almost as many splash chicks and just a few black laced chicks. I know that if I was breeding for show the best Blue Laced come from breeding blue to blue but that leaves me with quite a few black laced and they seem less popular. I used to have almost all blue hens and a blue rooster but decided that for the sake of selling to the locals that I would raise up a bunch of splash hens and a black rooster to create 100% blue laced. Unfortunately when I held some birds back to raise up there were ZERO black cockerels in the mix! So now I'm planning on raising up a black rooster but for a while there they were selling like hot cakes so I figured that I'd wait until things slowed down in the fall to raise up a few to pick out a new rooster. So far I haven't had any cockerels old enough to sex except for a blue laced rooster. I've got quite a few, they just aren't old enough yet. My sales stayed very strong longer than I expected this year so I went from consistently empty brooders to way too many chicks on hand very abruptly. My roosters tend to take quite a long time to mature so I probably won't be changing to a new rooster until late summer. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to get rid of my Black Australorps and add a pen of all Blue Laced birds but I really like the Black Australorps despite the fact that the chicks don't sell for much.
Honestly the blacks will come in handy when you are strengthening lacing and darkening blues. The splashes are just a byproduct that are probably fun to look at but wont be the best for breeding. Nothing wrong with breeding splashes, obviously, but as opposed to blues they are less ideal as they breed less consistently. I dont sell nor do I plan to so I wouldn't understand the whole selling business. But, what I would do if I wanted to have good birds and yet still sell some, is I would sell off all the splash as soon as they are born and then keep a few black cockerels to use over the blue hens to strengthen lacing.

I would be going in circles if I were breeding them! But I certainly like all my ladies! I loved the gents as well but never was able to quiet them down so they had to leave!I didnt realize till after I bought my chicks that its not a good to buy from an auction because thats how some breeders get rid of their "culls". I think they are pretty anyway because they are mine!

Piper hopped up in my lap this morning for some Mama cuddles
love.gif
I love my boy so so much!!!

And then, of course, he followed me around while I was checking everyone's food and water, too:

He is BY FAR my favorite chicken!!! I always wanted a lap rooster
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom