Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

So I hatched out these chickens from someone that was selling Blue Laced Red Wyandotte eggs. This is what I got. Do they look like Black Laced Red Wyandotte? Incubated 8 eggs, 6 hatched and 5 of them roosters! I contacted the person I bought the eggs from and she said they looked like Black Laced Red Wyandotte. I told her I ordered Blue Laced and she said she has all her Black Laced, Blue Laced and Splash in the same pen. Should she be selling them as Blue Laced? Will they produce any Blue Laced if I breed my 2 Black Laced together? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

So I hatched out these chickens from someone that was selling Blue Laced Red Wyandotte eggs. This is what I got. Do they look like Black Laced Red Wyandotte? Incubated 8 eggs, 6 hatched and 5 of them roosters! I contacted the person I bought the eggs from and she said they looked like Black Laced Red Wyandotte. I told her I ordered Blue Laced and she said she has all her Black Laced, Blue Laced and Splash in the same pen. Should she be selling them as Blue Laced? Will they produce any Blue Laced if I breed my 2 Black Laced together? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Im not sure on your question but people like that is why I do not buy eggs they lie

Those are indeed black laced red wyandottes. They are a natural byproduct of breeding blue laced red wyandottes, as in any BBS breeding program. If those are eggs from breeding a BlueLRW to another BlueLRW, she has no way of knowing which egg will hatch what variety until it hatches.

Those are indeed black laced red wyandottes. They are a natural byproduct of breeding blue laced red wyandottes, as in any BBS breeding program. If those are eggs from breeding a BlueLRW to another BlueLRW, she has no way of knowing which egg will hatch what variety until it hatches.

X2. And, to answer your other question, if you breed your black laced reds together, you will produce only black laced reds. Blue X Blue = 50% blue, 25% black, 25% splash; Blue X Black = 50% blue, 50% black; Blue X Splash = 50% blue, 50% splash; Black X Black = 100% black; Black X Splash = 100% blue; Splash X Splash = 100% splash. So, if she has all her blue/black/splash birds together, there could be any combination of chicks that would hatch out of those eggs. Like waddles said, she would have no way of knowing what color would hatch, but most people just lump them all together as Blue Laced Reds, when really they're three separate varieties. Hope that helps! And btw, your birds are very pretty!

I Have

www.backyardchickens.com

Im not sure on your question but people like that is why I do not buy eggs they lie

You should look into how Blues are bread. Blue is a homozygous color gene. You get all three colors: Blue, Black and Splash when breeding combos. Black is the dominant color (BB), Blue is the split color(Bb) and Splash recessive (bb). Those are Black Laced out of Blue breeding. They look very nice. Before you just to conclusions, do your homework. I am not trying to be nasty, this is advice. Color breeding isn't always clear cut. You have to take into account the main color, the pattern and so forth. If you were to get Blues and breed them together, you should get 25% Black, 25% Splash and 50% Blue. If you only got Black Laced, try getting Splash to mate them. That pairing should give you 100% Blues, however, that is theoretical and isn't always the case ;)
Good luck.

Sorry, I see someone else answered too. Now you know there are others in agreement on this point though ;)

Last edited:
You should look into how Blues are bread.  Blue is a homozygous color gene.  You get all three colors: Blue, Black and Splash when breeding combos.  Black is the dominant color (BB), Blue is the split color(Bb) and Splash recessive (bb).  Those are Black Laced out of Blue breeding.  They look very nice.  Before you just to conclusions, do your homework.  I am not trying to be nasty, this is advice.  Color breeding isn't always clear cut.  You have to take into account the main color, the pattern and so forth.  If you were to get Blues and breed them together, you should get 25% Black, 25% Splash and 50% Blue.  If you only got Black Laced, try getting Splash to mate them.  That pairing should give you 100% Blues, however, that is theoretical and isn't always the case ;)

Good luck.

Sorry, I see someone else answered too.  Now you know there are others in agreement on this point though ;)

What would you get if you breed a blrw roo over a glw/sexlink mixed hen looks like a glw though
Because I have a few chicks and some are blue laced some are golden laced

X2. And, to answer your other question, if you breed your black laced reds together, you will produce only black laced reds. Blue X Blue = 50% blue, 25% black, 25% splash; Blue X Black = 50% blue, 50% black; Blue X Splash = 50% blue, 50% splash; Black X Black = 100% black; Black X Splash = 100% blue; Splash X Splash = 100% splash. So, if she has all her blue/black/splash birds together, there could be any combination of chicks that would hatch out of those eggs. Like waddles said, she would have no way of knowing what color would hatch, but most people just lump them all together as Blue Laced Reds, when really they're three separate varieties. Hope that helps! And btw, your birds are very pretty!
I agree those blacks are very pretty...I have a pair of splashes and thought breeding them would be pointless, as no one wants the splash, they all want the blues or blacks. Your response illustrates, though, that there is a point to splashes, if only to breed back to a black...(I am very fond of my pair, just saying thought no one would want to breed them...) the whole, don't know what you're going to get is pretty exciting...if not 100% splash

My splash is actually my favorite, lol. She's beautiful. Although my blue boy has the most vibrant blue I've ever seen...
My splash girl, Phoebe:

My blue laced cockerel, Piper:

They're such awesome, friendly birds. I love them.

Back
Top Bottom