Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Updated pics of my first batch this generation of Blue Laced Silver Wyandottes - I really like how the splash versions are feathering out personally. They are 3 months now.
droolin.gif

The last few pics posted are beautiful!

My little guy that was slow to feather is finally filling out!

Still looking rough but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now! I love his color. Just pets so if the colors off it's fine. I just can't wait to see all of his feathers in!!

Last edited:
I was corrected by a breeder one time who told me it's not red it's mahogany :)

The base color is red...like a Rhode Island Red and Mahogany is a modifier that makes the red darker. With my roosters the mahogany is good on the shoulders but not as good on the hackles and saddle feathers. Now I'm not a show breeder and I'm not sure if the better mahogany comes from two copies of the mahogany gene or what. I'm also not sure if less mahogany is actually a disqualifier in a show Bird or just points off. I know that with Cream Legbars the trend is for birds with less and less chestnut and it's gotten to the point that people see a bird with chestnut and try to say that it's not "Cream" except the European SOP (there isn't an official American SOP) actually allows for some chestnut. Now, technically Blue Laced Red isn't on the American SOP as an accepted color for Wyandottes but if anyone wants to talk about the Mahogany gene and about the SOP (either in another country or with a breed with BLR as part of their Standard of Perfection) I'd love to hear about it.
You can see the darker Mahogany on the shoulders of this bird:

The base color is red...like a Rhode Island Red and Mahogany is a modifier that makes the red darker. With my roosters the mahogany is good on the shoulders but not as good on the hackles and saddle feathers. Now I'm not a show breeder and I'm not sure if the better mahogany comes from two copies of the mahogany gene or what. I'm also not sure if less mahogany is actually a disqualifier in a show Bird or just points off. I know that with Cream Legbars the trend is for birds with less and less chestnut and it's gotten to the point that people see a bird with chestnut and try to say that it's not "Cream" except the European SOP (there isn't an official American SOP) actually allows for some chestnut. Now, technically Blue Laced Red isn't on the American SOP as an accepted color for Wyandottes but if anyone wants to talk about the Mahogany gene and about the SOP (either in another country or with a breed with BLR as part of their Standard of Perfection) I'd love to hear about it.

I can definitely see the difference of color now. Hmm I wonder what my little guy will be. Your boy is beautiful!

What do you get when you cross a splash laces roo with a silver laced hen...I think with the gold hens I should get a blue right??

I've been struggling for 5 years to get that brassiness out of the hackles on my boys. In Australia there are very few good mahogany coloured birds and many confuse splash with blue. I've got a really black cockerel this season so I'll breed him to the girls and see what I get. I have no trouble selling the birds as pretty backyard layers. :)

I'm happy with the depth of colour in the blue.

I've been struggling for 5 years to get that brassiness out of the hackles on my boys. In Australia there are very few good mahogany coloured birds and many confuse splash with blue. I've got a really black cockerel this season so I'll breed him to the girls and see what I get. I have no trouble selling the birds as pretty backyard layers. :)

They are so pretty. I kinda want to sell them around here. All of the Wyandotte colors actually. Im still trying to figure out what would happen if my blue or black roo cross with my gold or silver.

I've been struggling for 5 years to get that brassiness out of the hackles on my boys. In Australia there are very few good mahogany coloured birds and many confuse splash with blue. I've got a really black cockerel this season so I'll breed him to the girls and see what I get. I have no trouble selling the birds as pretty backyard layers.
smile.png

Keep up the good work. Its not easy to breed birds when there is a shortage of good ones to be found in your country.

Back
Top Bottom