Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

My BLRW are a week old (breeder)and I’m not thrilled (so far) with the lacing on the wings. Does it typically improve after molting?

These are my first BLRW it looks like I ended up with 2 splash, 1 dark blue, 2 Andalusian blue and 1 black.
I have a few GLW that are four weeks old I noticed today their color is coming in good. At one week old mine didn’t look to colorful just dark with stripe.

What they look like at one week is not a good way to judge final color, they change several times before you can really start to tell what the lacing will be. I always have to tell myself to be patient :D. They aren't fully mature until about 18 months I think, you can tell color sooner, but I tell myself nothing is final until then haha

I don’t have any BLRW so I’ll admire everyone else’s from afar! :love
I would like to see some pictures of hatchery quality BLRW if anyone has them. I would like to get some in the future and have been nicely surprised by the looks of my hatchery SLW hens and the GLW
chicks so far.

Can anyone tell me what the 'ideal' coloring for BLRW chicks is to get the mahogany coloring in the plumage of the hen? I have several new hatchlings that range from dark grey to mid grey with yellow, pale grey with yellow and pure yellow. thank you.

I need some more BRLW guru advice!!! :fl

The dreaded time has come that I need to think the flock... I have over 100 birds :/ and need to start with cockerels

out of 6 BRLW I recently rehomed two ( one splash and one with a weird yellow chest) :barniebut I need advice on feathering the rest... I think (hope) I have 1 Cockerel and 3 Pullets. I’m basing this on uniform lacing vs Red shoulder patches, is this an accurate way to sex this breed at about 10 weeks?

I think the splash is a cockerel, The Black is a Pullet and the dark and light blue are Pullets....I think I saw one squatting but they are WAY too young... crazy chicken lady brain playing tricks on me?!

All had combs and wattles flush earlier than any of my other chicks. I am not breeding towards the SOP so i’m not concerned about the single comb on some of the chicks ....But if I wanted to breed it out it’s easier with a roo with a single comb vs a hen, is that correct?

Excuse the pictures I am currently making lists of who is leaving us and the wyandottes were in the alfalfa field with the Cornish

View attachment 1390866 03833CFC-8C2F-4713-A05E-D15674E9E01F.jpeg C972EDE9-4E6A-4C15-A4B0-DC288D2DA682.jpeg 6147084A-C1FE-4C24-92F4-9AE0CCE79136.jpeg 0575001B-B9AA-42D7-A915-D80F6EEF1D4D.jpeg 12B1324A-6824-4BFC-88E6-6BEB70C3CF2D.jpeg E420E97C-B41A-494A-BAF5-CAA3C7D30E2D.jpeg E1758A0E-C4C6-470C-AB07-6C4AA8DF31C3.jpeg 7FC3C0F5-8AB5-4F57-B3B4-6E7DC1A2FD9B.jpeg 037E4B8E-7938-4369-B673-3AA160BE1383.jpeg E23B95DF-FECC-4FCB-96A7-EBB14C94DC0D.jpeg F388962F-61A6-4B1D-B641-BDAE669BB14D.jpeg 17689019-7970-48D5-804B-A6DE252004B7.jpeg

What color are the legs supposed to be? My last hatch gave me a pure white pullet/cock not sure which yet with bright yellow legs and a mid grey and a dark grey bird with dark grey legs. I think I got thoroughly hosed with these eggs :rant.

What color are the legs supposed to be? My last hatch gave me a pure white pullet/cock not sure which yet with bright yellow legs and a mid grey and a dark grey bird with dark grey legs. I think I got thoroughly hosed with these eggs :rant.
Sounds like you have a ‘white sport ‘, it happens. The shanks should ideally be a nice strong yellow, but occasionally you will see a ‘slate ‘ overlay.

Sounds like you have a ‘white sport ‘, it happens. The shanks should ideally be a nice strong yellow, but occasionally you will see a ‘slate ‘ overlay.
Yes, unfortunately out of 9 hatched eggs, 5 were pure white with yellow legs. The others were varying shades of grey. Not a red amongst them, and the red was what I was going for. I sold the the other whites, and I am going to see if the buyer wants her money back as I was told by the egg seller that the white chicks should 'color up', but they wont, I know that. This was my first time hatching these so I will be very conscious in future about who I buy eggs from.

I have got 2 dozen BLRW's in the 'bator and all 24 are viable at 14 days, so if you are in Colorado and want some, send me a message! These are Foley line I believe. How much do you all sell your chicks for?

I have got 2 dozen BLRW's in the 'bator and all 24 are viable at 14 days, so if you are in Colorado and want some, send me a message! These are Foley line I believe. How much do you all sell your chicks for?
Unsure if you were talking to me, but I wish I was in Colorado to get chicks from you. This shipped egg thing is just so irritating when it goes wrong and then such a hassle to follow up on. I sent the seller a note letting them know that they might want to check their genetics. Anyway, thanks for the offer. :hugs I sold mine for $8.00 each BTW.

Back
Top Bottom