Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

7B6B611F-81DB-432B-AE5C-CB29D37CB151.jpeg

Thinking of breeding this pair. They aren’t old enough yet to know for sure (11 weeks) but so far I think they are my best two. The cockerel was very slow to feather which is supposed to be a good thing with this breed. Pullet is super super friendly. What do y’all think, @Egghead_Jr

143A5B4F-EFD0-47B7-88F9-2A5729AD0BBB.jpeg
826DF06C-2827-4316-B1E6-0C756D00AEE2.jpeg

Here's some pictures of a couple of my pullets I've grown up. I'm in the UK and we classify these birds to just be the Blue Laced Wyandottes, are these the same as the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. Or do Blue Laced Red Wyandottes have different traits/colouring to my birds?
Where in UK are you and do you have any for sale and are they bantams.
Lukas.

I know there isn't an established blue laced red wyandotte standard. I'm curious if what I'm thinking of doing would be bad.

I hatched some eggs under 3 broody hens. I didn't realize it, but a hen that was given to me by a friend as an ameraucana was an Easter egger with 1 blue and one white egg gene. I hatched it thinking it was going to be an olive eggers.

Roo:

PXL_20210630_191858230.jpg

Hen:
PXL_20210819_154111592~2.jpg

I wasn't intending to hatch mutts. My wife liked the colored eggs, so I though I had a few layers that didn't lay tan eggs. Marans, Easter egger and olive eggers.

I had this girl after the hatch grew out.
PXL_20210819_154405615~2.jpg

I hatched some more eggs this spring under more broodies. I hadn't gotten any olive eggs, and assumed she was slow to start laying.
I had this baby hatch out. So the splash lays tan eggs. The blue and splash hens were my only two bearded muffed hens. I had also discovered the roo carried a straight comb gene. This girl is more than likely the splash offering, as she has a chance to have the straight comb gene. The small pullet is only partially laced with a straight comb, but has a muff and beard and yellow skin.
PXL_20210819_154121713.jpg

So my question is, would it be irresponsible to attempt to breed beards and muffs into my laced red wyandotte? She would be an F2, so 75% wyandotte. Any babies would be about 87%.

I also don't have to use f2 specifically, I can also use the F1 hen and shoot for a rose comb. I've also passed along the F0 sire with the recessive straight and kept two of his F1b black laced sons. One of the two F1 blue laced red hens carries the straight, the other does not. There is about a 42% percent chance of a homozygous rose with these two F1b guys and 58% they are hetrozygus rose.

Last edited:
I think you are confused how the single comb works. It's recessive, meaning it requires two copies to express. If you obtained a single comb Wyandotte in first crossing then both parents carried a copy of the single comb gene. It can't express unless both parents provide a copy of it. Rose comb is dominant, a bird only needs one copy to express.

Olive eggers require a dark egg laying parent/ancestor. I didn't read anywhere where you had one of those.

As for adding muffs and taking away rose combs from Wyandotte- you can do whatever pleases you. Their your birds and beauty is in the eye of the owner. Just know they are no longer Wyandotte. Many really enjoy the backyard mixes and mutts they come up with.

Back
Top Bottom