Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I don't know if I shared what Foley told me or not. I am going to share what I know. I am not a long time breeder so if anyone has anything else to add please do. He told me lots of thing, most I can't remember. But if you have a question, I might remember some nugget of info he gave me.

First, to keep the shafting down you have to use the DARKEST Red birds you have. The darker the red the less shafting. If you use birds with any GOLD, BRASSYNESS.... you will only cause more feather shafting down the road.

You always have to breed for type, but I don't think you should be breeding for type with a bird that will ultimately bring you birds down. As with any breed you have to cull hard to improve your flock. I know sometime it is hard. For example.... you got hatching eggs from So and So and they had Foley birds. But you chicks are not really up to snuff. The reason is because the breeder with Foley birds bought chicks from him and didn't cull, neither did Foley.... they were Foley birds and they wanted to keep them all. Even Foley culls his birds and OFTEN. When you buy birds from a breeder, you are getting culls... think about it, they are not going to sell their best birds, especially if they have been grown out some. They picked the best birds and sold the rest.

What I am trying to say is we need to CULL and CULL hard to improve this color. It may take years to get to where Name Brand breeders are, but we are not going to get their breeding mediocre birds. Breeders only breed with about 10% of what they hatch and I would really thing that is a high number. (so if you hatch 10 chicks only 1 will be a breeder) You need to make sure you are using the BEST roo you can find too. They are passing their genes off to 100% of the chicks. I think good hens with GREAT roos will get you further than an OK roo and great hens. Only breed your BEST and you will move forward. If we do that the chicks will improve every year and you will see HUGE progress in a short period of time.

One more thing, breeding brother and sister will exaggerate the problems. You need to use closely related birds but not brother and sister. I know there are times when you think you need to but make sure your birds are really good birds, because the flaws will get bigger and more pronounced in the chicks and you have gotten no where. As a breeder I try to always have more than one line of birds. I like to have two lines to breed and I try to always include eggs from each pen.

I want to clarify too, this is not directed at anyone and is just some general breeding info we can all use
wink.png
If anyone else has some words of wisdom, please share. These are BEAUTIFUL birds and any breeding wisdom can only help everyone on this thread that wants to learn.

I am rambling now..... I hate to read long posts......
roll.png

Great post!

Catching up on thread - does anyone know if Mr. FOley is quitting on the BLRWs? I had hoped to get some stock from him next year... cleaning house for better birds, and was hoping to have one pen for breeding BLRWs all Foley birds - I miss having wyandottes around.

Thanks.

Catching up on thread - does anyone know if Mr. FOley is quitting on the BLRWs? I had hoped to get some stock from him next year... cleaning house for better birds, and was hoping to have one pen for breeding BLRWs all Foley birds - I miss having wyandottes around.

Thanks.
He is CUTTING WAY back. His wife is working now so it is just him and his oldest son. He is NOT going to be selling chicks in the spring. He is only going to grow out what he needs to for his showing and breeding. I think he will still sell pairs and maybe breeders.

I have some of his 2012 breeders. I am going to have hatching eggs available some in the fall and spring. But I think the demand locally is going to require me to hatch most of what I get.

Quote: I dont mean to sound ignorant here, but I ve seen the term "shafting" or "feather shafting" in several threads....what does that mean?
here's an article i wrote to help out those new to some of the terminology... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-feather-anatomy-guide
but for a visual on shafting, here's one of my dorking girls i've posted before.

if you look closely, the shaft of the feather is lighter than the surrounding feather. in blrw, the center of the feather should be an even, uniform dark red, without distinction between the shaft and the surrounding parts.

Not the best photos because they just came out of the box and had not had a chance to fluff up and groom themselves. But there are some BRIGHT yellow legs and nice tails. Those were the two things I requested from Foley.

The blue pullet with a great typee tail and orange legs. Little to no shafting.

The roo. A little lighter than I wanted but I will use him as his legs are glowing!!! Prob will cross him with dark blues and black gals.

This gal is going with my home bred black boy that I do not have photos of yet. Her size is massive and her tail is one to admire. She lacks the best lacing but Foley said with my black roo she will make some great babies. She has what he said is an ideal tail. She was camera shy so I will have to get better pics later.

Quote: I dont mean to sound ignorant here, but I ve seen the term "shafting" or "feather shafting" in several threads....what does that mean?
here's an article i wrote to help out those new to some of the terminology... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-feather-anatomy-guide
but for a visual on shafting, here's one of my dorking girls i've posted before.

if you look closely, the shaft of the feather is lighter than the surrounding feather. in blrw, the center of the feather should be an even, uniform dark red, without distinction between the shaft and the surrounding parts.
Okayyy I see what you mean!!!,,,,thank you so much for explaining that,,,,,,,:)

This is my BLRW. I was told when I bought her that she was 5 months so now should be 6 months old. She is not laying as of yet and being new to chickens altogether I'm not sure when to expect her to. Please feel free to critique her and let me know your thoughts...

This is my BLRW. I was told when I bought her that she was 5 months so now should be 6 months old. She is not laying as of yet and being new to chickens altogether I'm not sure when to expect her to. Please feel free to critique her and let me know your thoughts...

She still looks to be very young. I would say 5-6 months. Once her face is bright red she will start laying. I think you have a couple months to go. Very pretty gal!

Back
Top Bottom