blue laced red wyandotte with single comd instead of non-spiked rose comb? help

snood dude

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
I have a blue laced red wyandotte chick with a single comb. I don't know if it is a different breed or a genetic defect. I ordered them from McMurray hatchery. Sorry can not do pics.

That simply means the parents each carry a single comb gene. Its recessive so it doesnt show unless there are two of the same gene.

That is actually a myth comb type has nothing to do with fertilty
I Wonder why would you say such a thing before doing a proper research? There are multiple of research papers on this subject, just spend 5 minutes in Google and you will find plenty of them

Screenshot_20210811-100259_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Then you can read posts by experienced breeders of Wyandotte like Foley who don't believe it's true or of little significance. I tend to follow what decades long breeders do and would not want dormant single comb genes in my Wyandotte. And have not had a problem with fertility though admittingly have only been breeding them for three years.

If a fertility problem arose would blame the individual bird and not it's two rose gene comb. I've had fertility issue with a single comb breed and once changing out the cock the problem was solved. I'd say the proof is in the pudding. As I have rose comb Wyandotte that do not carry dormant single comb, or it would have shown up in three years, the two rose gene fertility issue is proving to me to be overstated.

Then you can read posts by experienced breeders of Wyandotte like Foley who don't believe it's true or of little significance. I tend to follow what decades long breeders do and would not want dormant single comb genes in my Wyandotte. And have not had a problem with fertility though admittingly have only been breeding them for three years.

If a fertility problem arose would blame the individual bird and not it's two rose gene comb. I've had fertility issue with a single comb breed and once changing out the cock the problem was solved. I'd say the proof is in the pudding. As I have rose comb Wyandotte that do not carry dormant single comb, or it would have shown up in three years, the two rose gene fertility issue is proving to me to be overstated.
I suspect you are dealing with the a second mutation of Rose comb(R2), research have found that it does not impare sperm motility as the regular Rose comb mutation,

Back
Top Bottom