Blue Laced Red Wyandottes

The blue gene is a diluter to black and does not breed true. Below is how the blue, black, splash genes work when bred together:

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue . 25% Black , 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue , 50% Splash
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Black X Black = 100% Black
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash

I'm pretty sure mine are all splash as well. Are there any sure fire ways to tell if you have a light blue in the mix?

I am getting a trio on Wednesday. The rooster is a splash and the hens are blue, does that mean then that I won't get the blacks? That is what it looks like, but is that true??

Right, unless that little one is indeed blue and a cockerel. It looks more like a pullet to me though.

You can only get black by breeding blue x blue or blue x black.

Last edited:
Well I will be sure to post thorough pics after we get them!!! Now to convince my boys NOT to name them after fruits!!!
smile.png

I wish those who have non-splash breeders would post as such when they list their eggs for sale. I think I found someone local to me who has offered me her darker chicks out of one of her hatches and she only has blue and splash in her pen, but some will be blue x blue which will result in some blue and fewer blacks. I've ordered 4 batch of BLRW eggs over the last year, and so far, I only had one blue hatch, and he had a single comb, so he had to go.

Ok, since they are not a showable color yet, do they have a OV class for them or something?? Seems like they are tooooo popular to not have some sort of class to show them in?

Quote:
There's AOV - All Other Varieties. With BLR, you can win best of variety.
wink.png
Same goes for most other unrecognized colors except in Ameraucanas, I think Lavender and Splash should be the only AOV colors allowed.

Back
Top Bottom