Blue laced Wyandottes?

CochinLover

Songster
13 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Wilderville, Or
I got these blue laced Wyandottes from a local breeder and im just confused. They just don't look like your average blue lace. They look like golden laced. They are about 4 to 5 weeks old and have lots of feathers to grow and mature into. I know a lot of breeds take a while to show their true colors but can you guys reassure me these are blue laced? Thanks so much.
20210407_114509.jpg
20210407_114551.jpg
20210407_114524.jpg

So the “blue” in blue laced reds doesn’t breed true. You can get black laced reds, splash laced reds, and blue laced reds from breeding two blue laced reds. Many people will refer to any of these colors as a blue laced red for the breed but they come in these three color. You do look to have some black laced reds and in your third pic the chick on the left looks like it may be a blue laced red judging by it being lighter but it’s hard to say for sure from the pic.

I have blue laced red Wyandotte's chicks right now 😅 they are probably a bit older than your birds but they do look like blue laced. A couple of mine are darker while some are brighter and some don't have much coloring on them.

So the “blue” in blue laced reds doesn’t breed true. You can get black laced reds, splash laced reds, and blue laced reds from breeding two blue laced reds. Many people will refer to any of these colors as a blue laced red for the breed but they come in these three color. You do look to have some black laced reds and in your third pic the chick on the left looks like it may be a blue laced red judging by it being lighter but it’s hard to say for sure from the pic.
That chick is a few days younger than the others. One chick out of the same clutch my coworker got is very pretty grey. Im jealous.

Commenting for future posts. I have recent bought two blue laced types. Blue laced gold Wyandotte’s and blue laced red Wyandotte’s . [ still growing ]. I’ll keep you updated!

I too purchased two BLRW chicks from a local breeder and everyone keeps telling me they’re GLWs...mine are 5 ish weeks old and I could swear I see little hints of the blue coloring coming in on the feather tips...I’ll be interested to see what yours look like in a few weeks for comparisons! Rexie is my most feathered chick...and the light spots are where I see some of the blue possible? Perhaps I’m just seeing things tho! Haha

Attachments

• 0813FB70-9E60-466A-B95F-6882CD3819C5.jpeg
    0813FB70-9E60-466A-B95F-6882CD3819C5.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 17
  • AE272ED8-6FE3-498E-BF29-3A502849F94A.jpeg
    AE272ED8-6FE3-498E-BF29-3A502849F94A.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 15
I too purchased two BLRW chicks from a local breeder and everyone keeps telling me they’re GLWs...mine are 5 ish weeks old and I could swear I see little hints of the blue coloring coming in on the feather tips...I’ll be interested to see what yours look like in a few weeks for comparisons! Rexie is my most feathered chick...and the light spots are where I see some of the blue possible? Perhaps I’m just seeing things tho! Haha
Well they could be black laced red, which is always possible due to BBS genetics with the blue laced red wyandottes. They look very similar to GLW. They should be more mahogany instead of gold between all the black. 😊
As you can see the difference can be subtle:
Photos from the internet.
Black laced red:
download (5).jpg

Gold laced:
Golden-Laced-Wyandotte.jpg

Well they could be black laced red, which is always possible due to BBS genetics with the blue laced red wyandottes. They look very similar to GLW. They should be more mahogany instead of gold between all the black. 😊
As you can see the difference can be subtle:
Photos from the internet.
Black laced red:
View attachment 2652989

Gold laced:
View attachment 2652992
Yeah, I know I should just be patient and wait haha. I’m trying to figure out what I’m gonna have and patience is not something I’m good at practicing 😆 Thanks!!

Just want to +1 as someone who got a BLRW chick that looks like a gold-laced lol. I'll try to update as it gets older and feathers out, but so far its wings are super black... Definitely confusing!

image.psd.jpg

4.jpg

Just want to +1 as someone who got a BLRW chick that looks like a gold-laced lol. I'll try to update as it gets older and feathers out, but so far its wings are super black... Definitely confusing!

View attachment 2657717
View attachment 2657718
Aren’t they just annoying that way?? Haha! We will have to check back in when they’re feathered out more and compare!

Back
Top Bottom