Blue, lavender, splash?!

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
I just hatched out several ameraucanas, and now I'm confused. I have two that look like splashes (very, very light blue), a few that look like lavender chicks I've seen posted, plus some darker blue chicks. Of course, I have some blacks as well, and a blue partridge looking thing, and some partridge. But, is it possible that I have lavenders, or are there just light and dark blues? The eggs are "mystery" eggs, with only the breed listed, and no way to find out what the parent stock was. I'll post pictures in the morning.

Lavenders & Splash look different as chicks, it's hard to explain but the Lavs. are kind of a darker dusty color. Splashes are just dusty looking. Lav. is a 'flatter' color than blue. I know I am just confusing you more so here's some pictures to help...

Lavender Chick next to a white one

And here's a Splash-colored chick

Last edited:
Do lavs tend to have solid colored feet, with splash having mottled feet? I really need to find my camera... I have really light colored ones, but they aren't white, then I have two more shades that are darker than this "not white" color. I'll go hunting for the camera ($220 camera, "disappeared" with the help of my four year old, grr)

There are three shades of coloring... Three are splashes, two jammed in the upper right corner are black (for reference) and the others are all the dark blue (normal blue) then the lighter shade of blue. Any ideas, now that I've got pictures? (Camera was behind a picture!)

Back
Top Bottom