Blue Merle Border Collie Breeders

protodon

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Nottingham,PA
I posted in the For Sale section a few times with no luck but does anyone know where I might find a reputable BC breeder in the PA area? I would like it to be Blue Merle and coming from working dogs with good herding instinct as I would like use them for my goats and maybe if I acquire some sheep in the future. There don't seem to be a lot of updated BC breeders listings online. So I was hoping maybe someone on here knows of a breeder.

Be aware that if they breed Merle to Merle dogs that they're taking huge risks. The puppies could be deaf or blind if both parents are merle.

Ask tharrell about merle genetics before buying any puppies.
smile.png

They breed blue merle chihuahuas, but the genetics are basically the same.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm actually familiar with the genetics. I did a little research on the double merle when I saw one up for adoption on craigslist. It was deaf and blind. I would have liked to adopt it but I already have 2 dogs and my main reason for wanting one is as a working dog. The fact that I want a blue merel is just preference.

The breeders that I have looked at seem to be responsible and I don't see any merle/merle breeding. Which is why a merle is so hard to come by I guess. I'd rather take my time looking than get one from a person that knows the risks of merle/merle breeding and does it anyway.

ETA: Here is the craigslist ad I mentioned if anyone wanted to look at it, just because.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pet/1389704829.html

Last edited:
Okay, good.
tongue.png

I'm glad to see some people aren't ignorant about dogs.
I'd like a merle dog as well, but FINDING one would be the hard part.

But about the double merle on craigslist... I'd be very worried that he wouldn't be able to adapt to a new home, just because he's blind and deaf. (Wouldn't know the area etc) Still, with a lot of work it could be done, but I -personally- wouldn't take the risk. Glad you're trying your best to find a healthy pup.
smile.png

are you wanting Border collies or australian Shephereds? The craiglist ad was for australian shepherds is why I ask. Good luck on your search, I honestly dont think I've seen a blue merle border around here, they are hard to find. If you wanting australian shepherds that shouldn't be too hard to find. We have Aussies and love them. Which ever breed you want you want go wrong with. Good luck, and if you find one we'd love to see pics.

We use to raise Border Collies years ago. We have a blue merle male. He is a great dog. I have his red merle daughter. The merles are hard to find. Good Luck!.

Quote:
Glad you posted that as well, alot of people don't know that. I had a mishap as well with merle to merle breeding. I have a blue merle male and also a blue merle female that had puppies back in the spring. At the time we had them all in the house and was keeping them in seperate rooms, or if one went out the other staid in, in the mix of one of those swaps they got tied. I ended up with 4 healthy puppies and 2 with slight eye and hearing problems. Thanks to the wonderful people on BYC they both found great homes. I had planned on useing my female for breeding and decided after that it was too much of a risk so we had her fixed. Through all that I was surprised to find out how many people had no idea about merles. So I'd say it happens more than we think.

Quote:
I really am only looking for border collies. That craigslist ad came up in my hunt for blue merle border collies and I never really knew what a double merle was until I read that ad and researched it

I did actually find a blue merle BC puppy that was about a month ago, that was also driving distance from me but by the time I contacted the breeder, it was displaying such good herding instinct that they wanted to keep it. So it was the one that got away.

Quote:
I really am only looking for border collies. That craigslist ad came up in my hunt for blue merle border collies and I never really knew what a double merle was until I read that ad and researched it

I did actually find a blue merle BC puppy that was about a month ago, that was also driving distance from me but by the time I contacted the breeder, it was displaying such good herding instinct that they wanted to keep it. So it was the one that got away.

Hey if they're really good breeders, you can probably expect more puppies from that one!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom