Blue mottled cochin chicks

Chickerella2012

Songster
Jun 27, 2019
Tallahassee, FL
Hello!

I would like to know if blue mottled bantam cochin chicks differ in color at hatch from black mottled chicks. I have a mixed Pen of blacks, black mottleds and blue and would love to incubate a mixed batch. I only want to keep the blue mottled babies and sell the rest.

Thank you!

Hello!

I would like to know if blue mottled bantam cochin chicks differ in color at hatch from black mottled chicks. I have a mixed Pen of blacks, black mottleds and blue and would love to incubate a mixed batch. I only want to keep the blue mottled babies and sell the rest.

Thank you!
On the list you show I don't see the a blue mottled breeding parent mentioned, this means that the only mottled parents are the regular black mottled, if they are crossed with blue you will get 50% blue and 50% black non-mottled chicks that are recessive for mottling but will not show it at hatch or as adults

On the list you show I don't see the a blue mottled breeding parent mentioned, this means that the only mottled parents are the regular black mottled, if they are crossed with blue you will get 50% blue and 50% black non-mottled chicks that are recessive for mottling but will not show it at hatch or as adults
X2
Blue mottled chicks look like black mottled but with blue instead of black down, but you will not have any blue mottled chicks to sell. Only heterozygotes.

So I would have to breed the offspring with recessive mottled gene to a mottled bird to get blue mottled? How do others create them?
Yep! Exactly that! Half of the chicks will have mottling.
25 percent black
25 percent blue
25 percent black mottled
25 percent blue mottled.

Even once you get true blue mottling only fifty percent of the chicks will be blue.
It’s a very tricky color.

Here's my blue mottle
20201007_123357_09.jpg

Back
Top Bottom