Blue Mottled Cochin---What can I breed him to for more Blue Mottleds?

crzy4peafowl

Songster
14 Years
Sep 5, 2008
Texas
I have a gorgeous Blue Mottled Cochin Cockerel--- He will be breeding age within the next couple of months...but since its Oct then I doubt any eggs will be laid until early spring so I have time to look for some girls...The only cochin girls on the farm are black mottled, blue, and one little white....Would the black mottled girls give me more blue mottleds...What if I put a black mottled roo with a splash hen...What would I get??

I think you're black mottled are the best bet. The chicks ought to be 1/2 black mottled and 1/2 blue mottled.
smile.png

I *think* mating him with a "regular" splash will give you 1/2 solid blue and 1/2 solid splash -- no mottles. But if you mate your blue mottled chicks to each other, you should get 1/4 splash mottled grandchicks -- and that might be interesting!

I am NOT an expert on such things -- but my mottled chicks, mille fleur chicks, and speckled chicks (all of which have similar genes) all started out with a LOT of white on them, especially in the chest. In fact, they LOSE white on the chest as they mature. I would think that your blue chick would also have a lot of white as a youngster, if it was going to be mottled. Sorry about that!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom