Blue Mottled Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by spectrumranch, Feb 20, 2013.

1. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I have raised Black Mottled turkeys for many years. But does anyone here have any Blue Mottled Turkeys. I have been working on producing the Blue Mottled for awhile now. Which I am producing the Blue Mottled, however I would like to see if anyone else has some.

[​IMG]

2. KBG204

KBG204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Pasquotank County, NC
    Gorgeous bird, I am trying to build a flock of Turkeys. You said you raised them?

3. spectrumranch

Yes we raise turkeys. We are focusing on Black Mottled, Blue mottled, Royal Palms & Blue Royal Palms this year.

4. KBG204

KBG204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Pasquotank County, NC
    Wow, that is quite an assortment to bad you are so far away.

5. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Hello, I'll be recieving a handful of black mottleds this spring and will *hopefully* be trying my luck with turkey breeding in the next couple of years. How well do black and blue mottleds mix? I've been warned about the fact that my mottleds don't breed 100% true and will probably throw genetic "sports". I'm not well versed in turkey genetics quite yet, learning every day though! Thanks

6. spectrumranch

Do you mean mix--- as in get along together or mix--- as in breed together?

7. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Oops, sorry, should have specified [​IMG] I meant how they breed together, What will the crosses throw, thoughts along that line

8. spectrumranch

Our group produced some solid Blues last year, but most babies were Blue Mottled or Black Mottled. The Mottled take time to get the mottled markings.

9. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Is that from a blue mottled/blue mottled crossing or from a black mottled/blue mottled crossing? How does one go about creating blue mottleds? Thanks

10. spectrumranch

The bird pictured above is from Blue Mottled bred with Black Mottled. I used him on Black Mottled hens last summer and produced both Blue & Black Mottled offspring.

This year I am breeding Black Mottled toms with Blue Mottled hens OR the other pens are Blue Mottled toms with Black Mottled hens.

I plan on selling some eggs so that other people can get started with them. After we sell some then we will hatch the rest so we have young birds to sell and a good good to pick offspring out that we want to keep for breeding. So if your looking at adding Mottled-- here is a link to our auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140919562511?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by