1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue or Splash Ameraucana???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Nov 28, 2010.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I bought some baby blue ameraucanas, and wound up with this one pullet...is she considered a splash?
    [​IMG]

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Unsure, but she is gorgeous!

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No, she's. . . . an Easter Egger, honestly.

That bird looks like she has some melanizers or barring, some dun? alleles, and blue in her. Her color is unrecognized, and honestly looks like someone put some colors in there that Ameraucanas don't even carry.

But, technically, she's blue. [​IMG]

. . . . Is that green I see on her feet? If so, she's definitely an Easter Egger, sorry.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    No, she's an ee.

5. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Her feet are a really dark greyish...i thought the pattern on her breast feathers seemed too regular, but i dunno not really barred...I got a roo who was white with black in the hackles and tail and speckled all over, looked more splash, but i didn't need another roo...
    Oh well I'll just stick with my whites [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:White with black hackles and tail is a definite Easter Egger alarm. It's a common EE rooster coloring, especially if you add in golden hackles or speckling of black, gold, or red on the body.

7. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Her muffs are fabulously large.

I hope that doesn't sound wrong. [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well one thing is certain, she's got the biggest beard I've ever seen. [​IMG] I don't see much muff there at all though, honestly.

9. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    She has a super fluffy face [​IMG] no red/gold in either of them, but similar color placement on the roo, just black instead of grey/blue...weird! This just makes me love whites all the more!

10. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:Ok, well, I have difficulty differentiating Muffs, Tufts, and now Beards.(?!)

I understood Muffs is feathering that located under the earlobes that follow around the head towards the neck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by