Blue or Splash??

KhalSancho

Songster
Dec 16, 2019
Wyberba, Australia
Hey all! This will be my first real post. I’m a little confused as to what to be considered blue or blue splash in the Ameraucana breed. As I mentioned in my introduction post we were sold as Pure Araucanas by a reputable breeder but seeing as they’re not rumpless and have little beards coming in.. I think it’s safe to say that Australia’s standards are different due to import laws. Anyways, I was just wondering whether you’d consider these two blue or splash or blue splash (if that’s even a thing lol)? And if I could get a little explanation regarding this particular breed, as my research has led me to conclude “splash” is interpreted differently amongst different breeds. Please and thank you!! (I’ve included two pictures of each, one has Cheek tufts and one has the over comb to make it easier)

)
BCB47B10-C59D-4161-AE38-592866A36B21.jpeg
5F67D3A6-1CE7-46E9-AB4E-5D485E843726.jpeg
86C05CB5-02CF-4913-83A5-95D466FD398B.jpeg
34A97D84-2675-48E3-AB6F-8D2D5D201840.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey all! This will be my first real post. I’m a little confused as to what to be considered blue or blue splash in the Ameraucana breed. As I mentioned in my introduction post we were sold as Pure Araucanas by a reputable breeder but seeing as they’re not rumpless and have little beards coming in.. I think it’s safe to say that Australia’s standards are different due to import laws. Anyways, I was just wondering whether you’d consider these two blue or splash or blue splash (if that’s even a thing lol)? And if I could get a little explanation regarding this particular breed, as my research has led me to conclude “splash” is interpreted differently amongst different breeds. Please and thank you!! (I’ve included two pictures of each, one has Cheek tufts and one has the over comb to make it easier)
[apologies it doubled up on the cheek tufted ones pics]

)View attachment 1982345View attachment 1982346View attachment 1982345 View attachment 1982346 View attachment 1982347View attachment 1982348
They're both blue, to get splash, you'll need to breed blue to blue. They both appear to be cockerels, how old are they?
bbs-chart.jpg
Chart image from internet.

I don't know much about the breed, but someone might help you with that part.

They're both blue, to get splash, you'll need to breed blue to blue. They both appear to be cockerels, how old are they?
View attachment 1982378 Chart image from internet.

See, that’s what I thought but a friend said they were splash or “blue splash” thanks for clearing that up.. we got them sexed as a group of seven. One cockerel and six pullets. Originally we thought just the over combed one (second picture) was the cockerel, but recently “Poppy” started to get REAL red in the face and it looks like “she” is getting a pea comb.. interestingly enough.. the one we thought was a boy isn’t developing any red colouration at all so we’re really on the fence until they start crowing lol they are about 3 months old. Good thing is, the breeder was amazing and said if we turn out with two cockerels to come back and she would give us a pullet for it. Which leads to another question.. for breeding purposes, I would want to get rid of the over comb guy (second set of pics) cuz it’s a disqualification in showings right?

View attachment 1982378 Chart image from internet.

Also, that genetics chart is great! Do you know what happens when a blue goes to a lavender? 50/50 or?

See, that’s what I thought but a friend said they were splash or “blue splash” thanks for clearing that up.. we got them sexed as a group of seven. One cockerel and six pullets. Originally we thought just the over combed one (second picture) was the cockerel, but recently “Poppy” started to get REAL red in the face and it looks like “she” is getting a pea comb.. interestingly enough.. the one we thought was a boy isn’t developing any red colouration at all so we’re really on the fence until they start crowing lol they are about 3 months old. Good thing is, the breeder was amazing and said if we turn out with two cockerels to come back and she would give us a pullet for it. Which leads to another question.. for breeding purposes, I would want to get rid of the over comb guy (second set of pics) cuz it’s a disqualification in showings right?
You're welcome, I don't mind helping. When you say over comb, do you mean it's extra long?
I don't know much about this breed.

You're welcome, I don't mind helping. When you say over comb, do you mean it's extra long?
I don't know much about this breed.
Yes, the breeder asked if we liked how it looked, my partner really liked his pointy Afro lookin deal.. so the breeder told us it’s an “over comb” and isn’t desired in show quality birds but is fine if we’re not bothered. I kind of was, but I more wanted a blue rooster and her others were not so I bit the bullet. And I really liked the other blues structure so I was fine.. but, the “girl” top photo looks like she’s becoming a man lol and the one we thought was the cockerel.. we’re on the fence about because it’s tail feathers are more defined like a hen, but it does have a couple questionable tail feathers and the ones around the neck are somewhat pointy.. but, it’s older than the other and isn’t really developing a pea comb or any red in the face? Lol so tough for someone like me driven by instant gratification to wait longer with this vague breed lol

Back
Top Bottom